Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keg of espresso schwarzbier just blew. Life can be cruel sometimes.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1390711611.062981.jpg

I don't have my notes handy but my regular schwarz recipe (not very scientific or necessarily to style) is 50/50 pils/munich + some carafa t2 for colour/roast ( I aim for 50 EBC in brewmate). Bittered with whatever to 25 IBU. Bry-97 at around 19deg.

The coffee was an afterthought/brainwave.. I had a look yesterday morning and could see I had only a few litres in the keg left, so I tipped two fresh (cooled down) double espressos in.. it worked. Was delicious.

quiet little afternoon with my wife and the dog. great australia day. just chilling on the balcony with some beers and a barbie. loving life. this is the baxter pale ale version 2. real pale ales aren't clear.

i only say that cos i accidentally poured the yeast into it from the bottle! haha. happy straya day caants.

bigbadbax.jpg

Gluten Free pale ale-ish.
95% sorghum malt, malted by me
5% Golden Syrup
Ella hops to about 30 ibu
WB-06 (pitched the wrong packet)

Kinda tart from the sorghum but a nice balance between the yeast, hops and grain.
I'm not gluten intolerant but I'd make this again just for me.

IMAG0749.jpg

One of waggastew's American Brown Ales. Thanks for the sample.

On opening the bottle, the aroma of US hops jumps out at you. It's also in the aroma in the glass, but relatively restrained, and persists through down to the last of the bottle.
Medium to amber brown colour. Strong just off white head which persists.
Malty, but less so than my Brown Porters, with a dark malt edge all the way through the palate.
Bitterness is quite strong, but as much from the dark malts as from the hops, especially on the fairly dry finish. I can still taste the malt on the palate even minutes after the last swig from the glass.
Seems to fit the style guidelines very well. A very enjoyable beer, but not one I would consider a session beer.

IMG_2417.jpg

This is my Kit & Kilo IPA - brewed up for submission into Melbourne Brewers annual in house kit comp.

Its a bit cloudy because its the last of the bottle and got the yeasty goodness in it.

It was taken while we were away camping down at Cape Otway

I call this "Camping with the K-IPA"

kipa2.jpg

Not For Horses said:
Gluten Free pale ale-ish.
95% sorghum malt, malted by me
5% Golden Syrup
Ella hops to about 30 ibu
WB-06 (pitched the wrong packet)

Kinda tart from the sorghum but a nice balance beyeast, hops and grain.
I'm not gluten intolerant but I'd make this again just for me.
Hey mate. That looks bloody good and I would be really keen to know a lot more about your process for gluten freee from sourcing / selecting your grain to the final product. Feel free to PM or start another thread as I know there are other people who would be interested.
Cheers

malt_shovel said:
Hey mate. That looks bloody good and I would be really keen to know a lot more about your process for gluten freee from sourcing / selecting your grain to the final product. Feel free to PM or start another thread as I know there are other people who would be interested.
Cheers
In addition to that, I would like to know how you ensured that it was actually gluten free considering everything in your brewery has probably come into contact with gluten product? Would you feed this to a coeliac?

My New Years Gold IPA - that went darker due to a 120min boil.... :ph34r:

96% Pils
4% Crystal 10
IBU 75

Been in the keg for 4 weeks.....bang on!

Sorry for the indoor photo.

20140130_202525.jpg

Sometimes I have a moment. Just now I pulled my first ice cold pint on this hot and glaring afternoon, and walking back to the study, I suddenly stopped, gazed upon it with wonder and with a strange thrill it occurred to me " I still can't believe I have gained the ability to make this chilled delicious miracle appear in my hand, from four ingredients. "

Miracle of beer.jpg

3724 saison. Week in the keg and crystal clear. This strain is much more fruity and "soft" phenolic wise to the French saison and belle saison I've tried. Super happy with it. Bit of extra time and effort to ferment with but IMHO worth it. I could have upped the bitterness but I'm loving it. I used raw spelt in this one but I really can't say I notice anything from it?. So next time might just stick to raw wheat and pils. Now have a sack each if wey and dingemans pils so plenty to play with!

My latest APA, tasting pretty damn nice. It's good to get a few more beers on tap again.

[edit] photo... derp

P1040432.jpg

Bribie G said:
Sometimes I have a moment. Just now I pulled my first ice cold pint on this hot and glaring afternoon, and walking back to the study, I suddenly stopped, gazed upon it with wonder and with a strange thrill it occurred to me " I still can't believe I have gained the ability to make this chilled delicious miracle appear in my hand, from four ingredients. "

attachicon.gif
Miracle of beer.jpg
I do this all the time Bribie. It's even better when you give one to someone else and their eyes light up. "You made this?"

Drinking a Riwaka mo smash ( except for a tiny 60 min charge ). No pic but when I get the next one I'll grab one. Quite lovely, IMHO

Latest posts

Back