Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey hwall,
Looks good!
Any report on what you think the Melbourne Ale yeast has brought to the party?
Any elements stand out compared to other yeasts you've used?
(I appreciate it's a bit hard if it's your first use of this recipe, and it's more dilute than normal, but just thought I'd ask)

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how to describe what it brings but I've found it taste quite different to English yeast that I normally use for stouts. Could just be imagination but even though the taste is quite different it has a flavour that reminds me tooheys old.

The beer itself fermented relatively quickly however it did finish a little higher than I would have like so it's a bitter sweet than I had planned. Definitely not a bad beer but personally I would buy an English yeast over Melbourne Ale for stouts.

APA - 5.2%

Maris Otter, Munich, wheat and crystal. Cube and dry hopped on with Simcoe, Chinook and Citra - lots.

Solid hops with solid malt = yum APA.

This beer is currently aiding me in writing a bunch of mumbo jumbo regarding what I've learnt from industry experience and why I'm ready to graduate at the end of year. Would much rather be working on something for more beneficial but at least I can have a beer with this shit [emoji16]

Attachments

• 1502370684430.jpg
    1502370684430.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 135
Passion Fruit Berliner Weiss, nice and tart. 4%abv Used wyeast 3191PC and left it in primary for 6 months. Added 500g of passion fruit at 4 1/2 month. Bottled in champagne bottles with champagne yeast EC-1118.
For me the passion fruit is very subtle, thought a mate says it very noticeable for him. Next time I'll add 1kg.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502402575.669373.jpg

First pressure ferment is packaged and first pour from the keg.

Pacific Ale of sorts, 60/40 pale/wheat, all, mostly late, Galaxy. 4.7ABV 25 IBU.

It actually tastes more bitter than the numbers suggest, the 40g keg hop for 3 days really enhanced the hop profile. I expecting this to fade a bit over time.

IMG_20170810_183524.jpg

I have a 3 tap keezer that holds 5 kegs, which usually means I have something conditioning. However it seems I took one off tap some time ago. Was a little bored last night so unhitch a keg and hooked up this unlabeled thing, having no idea what the hell was in there. Well they say good things come to those who wait, 7.5% belgian sitting on oak dominoes for near on 2 years, Pure Gold!

I'll take a pic tonight when I have a second sample.

First pressure ferment is packaged and first pour from the keg.

Pacific Ale of sorts, 60/40 pale/wheat, all, mostly late, Galaxy. 4.7ABV 25 IBU.

It actually tastes more bitter than the numbers suggest, the 40g keg hop for 3 days really enhanced the hop profile. I expecting this to fade a bit over time.

View attachment 107583

looks awesome mate. yeah i've noticed keg hops really beef up the hoppiness to amazing levels, but fade quickly into astringency. best in those sorts of beers you won't be keeping long imo.

my first brewed beer in 7 months and first brewed in my new home and state! loving it.

a simple summer ale.
pale, vienna, wheat and cascade and topaz to 30 ibu.
sexy!
View attachment 107597
Had to move the brewery a few times (I rent and moved states )Moving house is one thing moving the brew shed is on another level; hope your dialed in to where you want be be soon. First off the rank looks a cracker!!

Had to move the brewery a few times (I rent and moved states )Moving house is one thing moving the brew shed is on another level; hope your dialed in to where you want be be soon. First off the rank looks a cracker!!

thanks mate. not perfect yet, but after this brew and the one just done, i reckon i'll be on the money. i moved a bunch of times all around inner sydney renting but now am up in the gold coast in my very own home and loving it.

There is no way Melbourne bitter has Hall, Mosaic, and Simcoe in it, got this in the fermenter ATM WLP 020, what yeast did you use? Was thinking of thinning down a cube and throwing WLP059 at it.

Latest posts

Back