Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had never tried a Smash beer before but it was interesting. Can really get why everyone says it is the best way to highlight individual hop flavours, and malts I guess.

4CF9988C-B46C-4232-B21E-93EFDFE5D582.jpeg

Many of the world's great beers are made with one malt and one hop. Much depends on the style. Obviously the one malt will be self-converting, which rules out dark beers. The description SMASH has become fashionable largely for APAs, AIPAs and NEIPAs that normally use two or more hops. Still, one can get a lot of complexity and smooth bittering out of Mosaic alone.

Sometimes you want to feature one hop's distinctive character. Stone and Wood's Pacific ale, using Galaxy alone for flavour and aroma, is an apposite example. Galaxy gives a blast of what the breeder calls passion fruit, but many hops say that. I'd go with peach. Whatever, It works. I believe there has been some discussion here whether they add another hop for bnittering.

Two beers tonight, Ordinary Bitter, one out of the bottle the other out of the King Keg. Both the same beer but mouthfeel entirely different. The King Keg is far smoother most likely to the lack of carbonation.
The bottled.

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222 - Copy.JPG

The King Keg, notice the finer bubbles.

IMG_0223 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0224 - Copy.JPG

Tonight my Foreign Extra Stout, two long necks is my limit, just too strong, while very desirable it just isn't a session beer.

IMG_0291 - Copy.JPG

Notice how the head dissipates, a sign of high alcohol content. The stout I have in the fermentor at the moment will be about 4.5 ABV so I can enjoy a few more.
IMG_0290 - Copy.JPG

WEAL, what is your batch size(personal question I know!). I just see you're able to get through a lot of different styles, and often have mutiple batches conditioning at the same time....

Latest posts

Back