Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to beer advocate it's a Belgian Strong Dark Ale.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/149/12608

I'll leave the second part of the question to barls.

Cheers,

GT

beachy
i wont say it was the worst ive had but it was average. the 12 i had latter was the best with the trios pistole a close second.
there were a lot better in belgium

ok, thanks for the info, i might still give it a try since i havent got anything to compare it too and might never go to belgium :lol:

ok, thanks for the info, i might still give it a try since i havent got anything to compare it too and might never go to belgium :lol:

I tried one of these last night and was very suprised by the aniseed flavors. Not the best by a long shot.

Cheers Derrick

if you want something really nice in this style go for the trios pistole or chimay grande reserve

I tried one of these last night and was very suprised by the aniseed flavors. Not the best by a long shot.

Cheers Derrick

if you want something really nice in this style go for the trios pistole or chimay grande reserve

ok thanks for this info, i went out this morning and bought the floreffe before reading these two posts. I am not a big fan of licorice so it could be interesting, but i also bought a trios pistole because barls had mentioned it earlier so i am looking forward to that one and will look for the chimay grande reserve next time

Chimay grande reserve is chimay blue. Should be easy enough to find. The whole chimay range is tasty.

2 Metre Tall Brewing Cleansing Ale
Described as a real ale and definitely has elements of one.
Nice malt with a hint of caramel underpinning a good hop flavour with hints of marmalade.

I like this beer and wish I had more than two bottles, or rather none now...

2mtall.jpg

Hey Ben,

Where would you slot the Cleansing Ale into the BJCP guidelines?

I found it hard to categorise when last I had it.

Cheers,

GT

03012010.jpg

Excuse the mess!

3 Ravens Dark Smoke Beer. I enjoyed this much more than Rogue Smoke Ale I mentioned on the previous page. The smokiness is less offensive here but perhaps a bit too restrained at the same time. There's almost a little bit of the bacon found in the Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock under everything so that's a move in the right direction for me. This beer is alright but is perhaps playing it a little bit safe in what is a pretty out-there style - surely you need to really commit to a beer like this? Still, pretty nice and definitely a good entry point to the style.

Hey Ben,

Where would you slot the Cleansing Ale into the BJCP guidelines?

I found it hard to categorise when last I had it.

Cheers,

GT

I guess it's an Extra Special Bitter / English Pale type.
Certainly very english in style to me.

03012010_001_.jpg

Meantime London Elderflower Maibock - Numbered 366 of 1000 (should I have even drunk this? Oh well). The malt seems quite rough to me - I don't really have the vocabulary to describe it as I've never come across anything like it before. The bitterness, while not overly strong, is very harsh. Somewhat muted aroma, malt mostly. Possibly over-carbed for my personal preference. To me this tastes a bit like a very dry perfume.

All the above should be tempered with the knowledge that I only very rarely like lagers at all.

Just found a Kulmacher Kellerbier at a local supermarket which seems to rotate their range a little.

I'm not familiar with this style but it's quite malty and aromatic (malt/grain aroma rather than hoppy) cloudy (reading suggests that's par for the course as it's unfiltered) and refreshing. This example is amber/brown. Quite rich and it reminds me of some AG brews - maybe because of the fresh grain and slightly yeasty character.

Sorry about my lack of photos whenever I respond - clicking the phone camera, plugging in the camera, uploading to photobucket and linking here just seems like a massive PITA. It kind of looks like cloudy beer in a glass though. If it helps with the imagination, it's in a Delerium tremens glass, I'm surrounded by empty bottles, uni papers and a coffee plunger and one of my cats is curled up on the desk, purring.

uploading to photobucket and linking here

You can omit these two steps as there is an upload feature when you click Add Reply rather than using the Fast Reply window.

Yeah, the whole cable thing is a PITA, which is why I'm bluetoothing (blueteeth?) from a dodge phone camera rather than using our proper camera. Could use the card reader I suppose but that's annoying too.

Life is hard. Very hard.

I'd rather just draw the bottle in Microsoft Paint to be honest but I just notice that I seem to be one of the only ones who bypasses the photo and wonder if I might be comitting an unknown 'what's in the glass' faux pas?

My monocle pops right out every time you post. GADZOOKS!

I had this Rouge Double Dead Guy at Christmas ,

I rarely buy commercial beer but found this appealing as it was in christmas red and a recent brew.

I felt pretty guilty how much I paid for it , but come Christmas day I had two bottles of beer a Saison Dupont and the Rouge double dead Guy ,

I must say they were both Excellent , Whilst I am not a strong ale person the RDDG was a classy beer, smooth, worth every cent I really enjoyed it .

the Saison was just the Classic it is .

I thought by just drinking the two bottles i would be fine but in the arvo they both caught me up .

Pumpy :)

DSCF0367.JPG

Pumpy, have you had the standard Dead Guy? I've been thinking about giving the Double Dead Guy a crack but was a little under-whelmed with the single mortuary version and can't be sure the Double will give the oomph in the areas I felt the original might have lacked.

I have a bottle of this:

Floreffebeer1728x1152.jpg

Im really strugling with the second glass.

It tastes like dark licorish............ just like a liquid version of the dark rubber strips.

It was nice at first but it just becomes too much and umplesant.

Wont be buying another!

Also tried this:

ZubrGold1152x1728.jpg

sweet malt with bitter after taste, no real hop flavour or aroma, smells of euro lager skunkiness........... all in all, very disapointed in the beers. Disapointed as i could have made a keg of beer for the cost of them <_< But you have to try them hey :)

cheers

I have a bottle of this:

Floreffebeer1728x1152.jpg

Im really strugling with the second glass.

It tastes like dark licorish............ just like a liquid version of the dark rubber strips.

It was nice at first but it just becomes too much and umplesant.

Wont be buying another!

Also tried this:

Had the same expierience, seen it at Dans and thought oohh i haven't seen that before so bought one, very licoricey/aniseedy and also tasted quite oxidised, on checking the use by date it had been scrubbed out so suspect it was past it's best, on the other hand today i found a bottle of Otway estates prickly moses Farmhouse ale. This beer rocked my world but was to lazy to take a photo had the distinct " i just licked the stable floor" taste and beautiful mouthfeel with a complex malty .spicy aroma ooohhh i really enjoyed this one and the Brewery is only 1/2 an hour away woo hoo :party:

Had the same expierience, seen it at Dans and thought oohh i haven't seen that before so bought one, very licoricey/aniseedy and also tasted quite oxidised, on checking the use by date it had been scrubbed out so suspect it was past it's best, on the other hand today i found a bottle of Otway estates prickly moses Farmhouse ale. This beer rocked my world but was to lazy to take a photo had the distinct " i just licked the stable floor" taste and beautiful mouthfeel with a complex malty .spicy aroma ooohhh i really enjoyed this one and the Brewery is only 1/2 an hour away woo hoo :party:

Thanks Tony and Bulp for saving me some dollars...
I saw that Belgian one the other day but was on the way somewhere and thought I'd check it out next time I went in.
THe flashy label did make me think it looked like a major brewery doing an abbey beer but that was just a passing opinion.
Won't bother now I don't think...

I've enjoyed most things I've tasted from Otway Estates.

Back