Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5208.JPG
...Aaaand we're live.
Holy fucken shit! Where to begin. Cancel Bali, I'm off to Russia. This tastes like it was brewed inside my Weber.
Definitely picking up another bottle for next weeks beer appreciation night(s).

TheWiggman said:
^ that Lindeman's Kriek is a really nice drop
Lindemans Cuvée Rene Kriek is a must try, not back sweetened, just pure lambic and cherry goodness.

In honour of a successful brewday achieving highest conversion efficiency and highest OG in my short career I cracked a couple of DIPAs. Both lovely but my vote goes to the Kaiju - more going on, more intense, more slaps around the chops to let you know you're not drinking an ordinary IPA...

Screenshot_20170319-171440-01.jpeg

IMG_2507.JPG

Rosie's Summer Punch Berlinerweisse by Nomad Brewing. It supposedly has hibiscus in it, however I don't get much of that coming through. It does have a very faint floral aroma which is quite pleasant.

The sourness is somewhat lacking, compared to what I'd expect from a Berliner. From the one dimensional nature I'd wager this is a kettle soured beer, and not a primary ferment with lacto.

Overall it's a nice, easy drinking beer, which would be a good intro for people looking to get into sours, however I prefer my Berliner's a little more mouth puckering.

Worth a try nonetheless.

JD

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1490253347.304019.jpg

Been sampling these over the last few days. Tart of Darkness will be opened tonight, this is the one I've been waiting for the most. The other two have both been stellar. Sour in the Rye is the pick so far, although it is crazy sour.

The glad wrap, for those wondering, was placed there after flaming the lids inside and out in preparation for a small mixed starter. Planning on 100mL stepped up to a litre. If it works out half will go into a sour stout of my own and half will go to Shacked for his bug farm.

As an update. Cracked the Tart of Darkness with dinner. This lives up to the hype! Cherry with a touch of barnyard/horse on the nose. Tart, but not full on like the Sour in the Rye. Very smooth, almost velvety, on the tongue, with a nice chocolate lingering flavour that comes through after swallowing. Delicious. Can't wait to attempt a similar brew.

Our weekend family activities are sometimes based on where i can find a brewery. Found this place in Ballarat. Its only been open for 6 months. The ESB was ok. This one was a crackin lawnmower beer. Especially since i just mowed the lawn.

1490515464417.jpg

This ones a bit deceiving, it says lager on the can but has all the flavours of a pale.
Loads of hop flavour and aroma. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1490567945.890416.jpg

Been quiet from me of late. At Melbourne CBD drinking a Baltor Pilsner on tap. Not bad, definitely getting that saaz kick which reminds me of my own efforts. Maybe too bitter, but a challenging style to nail if going traditional.
1490602376901.jpg
Any Melbournites up for a beer? Swing us a PM.

Bonsoir AHB,

After 20 hours of combined flight time with the beer options being Becks and Peroni (I gave the Shiraz and then the dessert wines a nudge instead) I made a beeline for the recommended La Cave a Bulles. Great little bottle shop with tonnes of French beers, a few Belgians and some 'others'. The guys in the shop were enthusiastic and helpful, despite my language barrier...I'll be back.

med_gallery_30557_1283_7488.jpg

They had a few saisons (including double and imperial saisons), this is the one I ended up with. A very nice beer and you can admire the delightful padded walls of my 'delux' hotel room as well. While my delux room does have a minibar it doesn't have a bottle opener. I suspect some others have dealt with problem previously because the old school radiator is missing some paint in patterns that very closely resemble the crimp patterns in a crown seal...there are a few more chips in it now.

med_gallery_30557_1283_184894.jpg

It couldn't all be saisons and biere de garde so I grabbed a French APA, based on the label more than anything else. It was a terrific beer and about the only words I could decipher on the blurb on the bottle were Azzaca and Mosaic.

med_gallery_30557_1283_512787.jpg

Another beer selected almost purely on the label was the O'clock Brewing Jet Lag IPA. i googled it to see what if any info i could find and I see Nomad has an identically named IPA...wonder who got in first. It's another very good beer, a classic AIPA I suppose. Thumbs up.

med_gallery_30557_1283_85290.jpg

Because I couldn't check in until 2pm I still had time to kill after my visit to La Cave a Bulles. Fortunately there was a pub on the way back to my digs that I'd read about, they do their own beers: The Frog & Rosbif.

True to their name they do Frog Beers. The pic below is their Blonde Ale, I also tried their Best Bitter (Inseine), their Belgian Wheat (Maison Blanche) and their English IPA (The Empire). All were good beers, really enjoyed the Best Bitter and the Belgian Wheat.

med_gallery_30557_1283_1171283.jpg

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Bonsoir AHB,

After 20 hours of combined flight time with the beer options being Becks and Peroni (I gave the Shiraz and then the dessert wines a nudge instead) I made a beeline for the recommended La Cave a Bulles. Great little bottle shop with tonnes of French beers, a few Belgians and some 'others'. The guys in the shop were enthusiastic and helpful, despite my language barrier...I'll be back.

med_gallery_30557_1283_7488.jpg

They had a few saisons (including double and imperial saisons), this is the one I ended up with. A very nice beer and you can admire the delightful padded walls of my 'delux' hotel room as well. While my delux room does have a minibar it doesn't have a bottle opener. I suspect some others have dealt with problem previously because the old school radiator is missing some paint in patterns that very closely resemble the crimp patterns in a crown seal...there are a few more chips in it now.

*snip*
Looks bloody tough :p

BTW, should never leave the house without one: ;)
Bottle opener.png
http://www.barware.com.au/p/credit-card-bottle-opener-stainless-steel/OP3010

Had a few decent beers here in NZ. I'm not convinced some of the supermarkets are handling the beers very well - Had a few which seemed to have suffered from storage issues. Tried to get some pernicious weed today but they were all out - got this instead. A decent beer!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1490870839.232569.jpg

Monteiths Golden Lager

I'm a big fan of Monteiths usually, but not this one unfortunately. A bit sickly sweet and very 'bananery' (is that a word?).

wp_ss_20170403_0001.png

I mistakenly thought this was a bottle of dreadnought thats been sitting in the fridge for a few years. Never less, bloody nice drop!

IMG_6958.JPG

IMG_7832.JPG

Back