Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pretty set on doing a porter for my next brew, but gee I'd love to know the recipe for this. Aromatically hoppy with a nice balance of bitterness and alcoholic syrup sweetness. I've had two and I wish I bought more...

image.jpg

Cascade Pale Ale.

A bog standard aussie lager. Perhaps with a smidge more bitterness than others. Only a smidge mind you.
It's wet and goes down fast.

A nice break from my own RIS and Baltic Porter.

The best part is cascade uses 375ml bottles (not those stupid 330ml bottles) with crown seals - perfect for re-use and my sugar measure.

Northbridge Brewing Co.

Pale ale, lager and wheat.

They're all good beers. Not pushing any boundaries, but well brewed.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407384843.178518.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407384858.444013.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407384871.893956.jpg

Wheat beer might've been my pick of the bunch and I'm not a wheat beer drinker!

Another really nice NZ beer. 10% and hopped with co2 liquid hops. Warrior, Amarillo and simcoe.
Bloody lovely

1407400972152.jpg

Pelican Brewing Company Silverspot IPA. This is a real treat. Refrigerated right to this side of the ditch from U-S-A and it tastes like I picked it up from the brewery. Beautiful Mate!

James Squire IPA. I used to enjoy this beer. Been a while since I had it but this current lot is really quite dreadful. Thin, some banana and a hint of toffee. Off to the shops to get some hightail or LC pale. Fortunately got a rochefort 10 for later.

My local pub has a JS tap they rotate once a month. The last couple of weeks it has been the porter. I had a few schooners about a fortnight ago and they tasted okay but today I had a schooner and it tasted a bit like vegemite. Ended up leaving half of it in the glass.

IPA and porter used to be the JS ones I rated quite highly. Porter had a tasty burnt raisin/raisin toast vibe that I really liked.

Dutch Cerveza from the same mob that make Hooten Lager. Surprisingly easy drinking and inoffensive. Available from Liquor Stax.

claro.jpg

stillinrehab said:
Pelican Brewing Company Silverspot IPA. This is a real treat. Refrigerated right to this side of the ditch from U-S-A and it tastes like I picked it up from the brewery. Beautiful Mate!
That reminds me I've got a bottle of their "Mother of all Storms" I've been sitting on for a few years, bit late now maybe next Winter

ricardo said:
That reminds me I've got a bottle of their "Mother of all Storms" I've been sitting on for a few years, bit late now maybe next Winter
I have also had the IIPA but have to say the IPA was quite a bit better IMO. Hopefully that treats you well. I have been sitting on a Nogne 0 Darkstar 4 for a year next Saturday. It will be opened that day for my little girls 1st Birthday. She is awesome but can't have any.

kalbarluke said:
My local pub has a JS tap they rotate once a month. The last couple of weeks it has been the porter. I had a few schooners about a fortnight ago and they tasted okay but today I had a schooner and it tasted a bit like vegemite. Ended up leaving half of it in the glass.
That vegemite taste would be thanks to a lack of line clean by the pub I'd say

Drinking 4 pines Oktoberfest beer, part of their Keller door series...

Isn't bringing back memories of my time at the greatest festival in the world.

Sort of unbalanced..

CrookedFingers said:
Oh shaunous.
I really like that beer !
That's a shame, bad sixer maybe ??
What didn't you like ?
CF
Gotta agree with Shaunous, awful beer brewed badly, the first six pack I got was full of acetylahyde (not sure of that spelling), the second was overly sweet with no hop presence at all.

Only bought the second on recommendations from a couple of people I thought had good taste in beer.

Needless to say I've cut them off the free home brew list, their opinion is worthless if they can't recognise Dundee as shite.

Back