Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gave my mates a try at Sly Fox and also my IPA, their comments were.

'Got any decent beer, both these poofter beers taste like passion fruit and breakfast juice'

After I laughed they were happy with a Tooheys New.

St Sylvestre gavroche. Much more amber than trois monts, more of a caramel flavour though not a strong caramel flavour, malty yumminess. Got a similar faint perfumey aroma and flavour to trois monts, but a different beer. And like trois monts, it doesn't drink anywhere near as strong as it is :)

image.jpg

Hook Norton Haymaker Pale. Bargain alert !!!

Thought I'd put this up even though I haven't dived in yet...just in case people are doing a drinks run on the way home from work.

If it's anywhere near as good as the 12 Days/Nights (I forget the name) and Old Hooky, I'll be happy.

Dan Murphys $2.49 each...plus 10% off if you buy more than 10.
I bought 16...all they had !

Don't bother with the SE Melbourne Burvale store if you're looking for it...they're out, some grinning British bloke bought the lot (balaclava emoticon, smiling and winking emoticon).

20140612_152044.jpg

I reckon that is a really good dry hoppy ale IMHO. I like it a lot.

I think so, it seems more of a hoppy ale than a malty one. Let us know what you think.

I'm not far off cracking an orval. Funky goodness

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402729424.850443.jpg Been living in japan for 2 years now and just ordered/received a few Hitachino nest beers. I've tried the pale amber and wit before and they were great, now to try the rest.

Had some awesome beers this afternoon, that have certainly helped with watching the most frustrating team in the history of football (Richmond Tigers).

Holgate APA. Upon tasting it, I thought Citra, Nelson Sauvin and Victoria's Secret. Then I read the label, it mentioned US, NZ and AU hops… interesting, anyone know exactly what they are? Enjoyable beer. Not overly hoppy, nice and sharp with some bight. A well balanced, moderate APA.

Kooinda English Red Ale. Beautiful malt flavour. Roasty, caramel, toffee - reminded me of Wolfman's Irish Red that we tasted at the last Merri Mashers meeting. The label mentioned "biscuit", but I'd love to know what malts went into the grist to produce this flavour profile… beautiful… far better than the aroma lets on.

Stone & Wood Stone Beer. Seasonal release, and I've been privy to it for the past 3 x winters - always a winner. Such a gentle, balanced, roasty, malt-forward beer - a real treat. This was one of my highlights at GABS this year… nothing new to me, just awesome.

more to come.

Danwood said:
Hook Norton Haymaker Pale. Bargain alert !!!
Thought I'd put this up even though I haven't dived in yet...just in case people are doing a drinks run on the way home from work.
If it's anywhere near as good as the 12 Days/Nights (I forget the name) and Old Hooky, I'll be happy.
Dan Murphys $2.49 each...plus 10% off if you buy more than 10.
I bought 16...all they had !
Don't bother with the SE Melbourne Burvale store if you're looking for it...they're out, some grinning British bloke bought the lot (balaclava emoticon, smiling and winking emoticon).
Those Hook Norton beers are excellent value for money IMHO. Not the most delicious beers in the world but cheaper than 95% of craft beers on the market and a shiteload better than mega swill that is pretty much the same price.

djgilmore said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402729424.850443.jpg Been living in japan for 2 years now and just ordered/received a few Hitachino nest beers. I've tried the pale amber and wit before and they were great, now to try the rest.
I really like the espresso and red rice ale, but to be honest found the nipponia a bit strange. I'm also a big fan of minoh beer based in Osaka. Went to their beer belly bar in Osaka last year and had their award winning imperial stout on the hand pump along with everything else they had on tap. If you're in japan its worth keeping an eye on their special order seasonal beers.

Beaten Track Brewery - Alchemy

Espresso Berry Weizen

This beer is fantastic. Might be beer of the year for me. I gave this a massive write up on the Perth beer snobs on Facebook, but to sum it up...

It sounds like a complete mess but its a magical combination that works wonderfully. Imported US coffee meets Tasmanian Raspberries. The coffee is there with every sip. Real, beautiful coffee. The real genius of this beer though is how well it's balanced, it doesn't overshadow anything and the berries and coffee work perfectly. It's a limited release, but if you get the chance you should try it.

I've got 6 bottles on hold, but I'm honestly thinking of making it 12.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402778309.306022.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402778329.788896.jpg

Hook Norton Haymaker Pale.

Dry, spicy with a fruity yeast character. Not massively hoppy, but a good, earthy flavour from the EKG.

Enough malt to be balanced. There could be more there, it's not long out of the fridge though. But judging from the colour it's not going to have too much caramel and no toastiness.

Very good beer, and if you can find it at the aforementioned price at Dan's....it's a steal !

1402806482646.jpg

Had this on the weekend.

Firestone Walker Pale Ale 31

Cascade, Centennial & Chinook combo late in the boil and dry hopped.

:icon_drool2:

WP_20140613_003.jpg

Danwood said:
Hook Norton Haymaker Pale.

Dry, spicy with a fruity yeast character. Not massively hoppy, but a good, earthy flavour from the EKG.

Enough malt to be balanced. There could be more there, it's not long out of the fridge though. But judging from the colour it's not going to have too much caramel and no toastiness.

Very good beer, and if you can find it at the aforementioned price at Dan's....it's a steal !
I had a few of these on Saturday night, couldn't believe the price when i saw them at Dan's. Might go back this arvo and clean them out...!

image.jpg

Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest

Wet hop ale

IPA with a nice bitterness up front that fades quickly. Good aroma, full body and I suspect has a good % of rye malt in there also.

I think it said 7.1% but not too sure.

$12 at dans, worth trying once, wasn't at home so I could pull out the IPA glass :(

Latest posts

Back