Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double post.

I'll wait until my trip has finished before posting more about the other beers I've tried, but so far, nothing from a bottle has been great, and a few have been overcarbed. Also disappointed by the lack of small breweries representation on tap - each place I've been (preachers, jack greene, new sydney + ) have only had one local crafty on tap each so I haven't had a chance to taste many fresh local beers. Mostly out of date fizzy skunked stuff that's been sitting in the glass door fridge not being drunk.

What can i say!,dates,plums and raisins.......bloody beautiful!

image.jpg

Got a mixed six pack of IPA's from my favorite bottle shop.

Delicious, but not the best imperial IPA I've tried.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389191623.511148.jpg
Oh... And some beer cheese and tortillas!

Such a weird flavor, but gets less weird with every sip. Enjoyed it, but most certainly not a quaffer!
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389191664.575332.jpg

Grabbed it at random and turned out to be amazing.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389191866.242707.jpg

StalkingWilbur said:
Got a mixed six pack of IPA's from my favorite bottle shop. Delicious, but not the best imperial IPA I've tried.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389191623.511148.jpg Oh... And some beer cheese and tortillas! Such a weird flavor, but gets less weird with every sip. Enjoyed it, but most certainly not a quaffer!
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389191664.575332.jpg Grabbed it at random and turned out to be amazing.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389191866.242707.jpg
I thought the Buxton IPA was noice as well.

Liam_snorkel said:
Double post.

I'll wait until my trip has finished before posting more about the other beers I've tried, but so far, nothing from a bottle has been great, and a few have been overcarbed. Also disappointed by the lack of small breweries representation on tap - each place I've been (preachers, jack greene, new sydney + ) have only had one local crafty on tap each so I haven't had a chance to taste many fresh local beers. Mostly out of date fizzy skunked stuff that's been sitting in the glass door fridge not being drunk.
Most tassie beers are great on tap (what I've managed to find) and meh in the bottle. None of the Pale Ale (though claiming american style) are anything worth buying, and not cheap viz other mainland crafties. Mind you Boags is dearer here than in Brisbane too.

Thanks for the tip about MONA. What happens in Tassie is someone says something, it gets spread around, and forever more it shall be so, notwithstanding the actual facts. I've not met anyone who's actually gone, just 'heard' about it.

One of those days, so I though I would crack an ale. Pulled out a James Squire The Constable. A lot more hop forward than I expected, but a really decent beer in the range. Hopefully the wont do what they have done with the others and dull it down too much later. This one is worth a try.

The constable is a mid strength at 3.4% yet seems no cheaper than the rest of the range which I find a bit puzzling. I keep hearing that lower ABV beers are taxed differently. That said I don't mind it at all and my wife who is a fan of mid strength beers likes it too.

Bridges said:
The constable is a mid strength at 3.4% yet seems no cheaper than the rest of the range which I find a bit puzzling. I keep hearing that lower ABV beers are taxed differently.
That really only applies as a difference between mid and full strength in draught form (container over 48litres) in small pack form the excise rate is the same.
A big part of the cost in putting beer in bottles comes from the packaging itself. The difference in ingredients and excise (same rate but paying on 3.4% against say 4.5%) is minimal compared to the packaging.

Cool thanks beersom, so then the next question is for example if you look at Dan's online prices for coopers six packs it goes
Coopers Light $12.49
Coopers Mild $12.99
Coopers Pale $15.99
Coopers Sparkling $16.99

Does that means the different price points are just a marketing exercise and somewhere along the line we as consumers are being shafted?

I thought the price or tax was on the amount of alcohol in the bottle? The lower the percentage the cheaper the product , excluding vintage - rare "special" rip off marketing drinks. There was that crash rtd ( ready to drink) tax on premix rum cans and the like though .. Hmm interesting thoughts on the packaging .
So your saying we are getting ript ? Hardly surprising these days :(
So lion Nathan / Kirin 'packages' xxxx bitter and xxxx gold at a different cost and they sell them at a different price to rocoupe the difference in packaging ? A six pack packet of either looks pretty much the same cost to me ? Why wouldn't they sell them both at the same price ? I am pretty drunk and probably have mist something ?
But alas I am on my 3rd vintaged leffe radieuse :p

I really prefer the older label as opposed to the current one .
image.jpg
Bbf 02/13
Ruby rich , almost sour
I could trumbone a monk right about now

Damn the torpedoes ,
Full steam ahead !!

Effel image.jpg
This is a blonde but this is the label is was thinking of , oh so romantic ahhhh
Smooth as cuz , like a silky oysters 'toris

Oh shit delete delete

Bridges said:
Cool thanks beersom, so then the next question is for example if you look at Dan's online prices for coopers six packs it goes
Coopers Light $12.49
Coopers Mild $12.99
Coopers Pale $15.99
Coopers Sparkling $16.99

Does that means the different price points are just a marketing exercise and somewhere along the line we as consumers are being shafted?

northside novice said:
I thought the price or tax was on the amount of alcohol in the bottle? The lower the percentage the cheaper the product , excluding vintage - rare "special" rip off marketing drinks. There was that crash rtd ( ready to drink) tax on premix rum cans and the like though .. Hmm interesting thoughts on the packaging .
So your saying we are getting ript ? Hardly surprising these days :(
So lion Nathan / Kirin 'packages' xxxx bitter and xxxx gold at a different cost and they sell them at a different price to rocoupe the difference in packaging ? A six pack packet of either looks pretty much the same cost to me ? Why wouldn't they sell them both at the same price ? I am pretty drunk and probably have mist something ?
But alas I am on my 3rd vintaged leffe radieuse :p
No I am not saying you/we are being ripped off at all. I am not explaining it too well though.
.... and we must remember that all businesses make different price point decisions based on inputs outputs and marketability.
The basic point is that in a lot of packaged beer the biggest inputs are labour and packaging itself and the difference in excise between most beers over 3.5% and under 5% is minimal in comparison to other costs. However the excise difference between say a bottle of 10% beer and a draught glass of a 2.5% beer is huge.
Excise tax is based in 3 ABV groups and across 6 different item numbers.
under 3% (over 48 Litres) $7.79 per litre of alcohol
under 3% (under 48 Litres) $39.01 per litre of alcohol
3-3.5%(over 48 Litres) $24.44 per litre of alcohol
3-3.5%(under 48 Litres) $45.44 per litre of alcohol
0ver3.5%(over 48 Litres) $31.99 per litre of alcohol
over 3.5% (under 48 Litres) $45.44 per litre of alcohol
The first 1.15% ABV is not taxed.
Don't have a lot of time to do a further breakdown at the moment but I will return to the topic next week if you like and give some breakdown examples.

Had a southern bay brewing Hop Bazooka IPA today, only 5.6%. Very balance beer and well hopped. My kind of beer.

1389422216936.jpg

20140116_1549391.jpg

Mmmm... my first Blueberry Double IPA of the day.

This is actually freakin' delicious, it has that tingle in my throat I get when I chew blueberry seeds. On the nose it is just hops, but on the palate, it has a massive whallop of blueberry, which actually fits in really well with the hops.

Bizier said:
20140116_1549391.jpg

Mmmm... my first Blueberry Double IPA of the day.

This is actually freakin' delicious, it has that tingle in my throat I get when I chew blueberry seeds. On the nose it is just hops, but on the palate, it has a massive whallop of blueberry, which actually fits in really well with the hops.
Sounds amazing. Will have to track one down.

Latest posts

Back