Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your sandra sully im afraid. read the previous page. yes

on a related topic. u know you could search the thread and see the reviews.... it wht i did when i bought a mixed case of he best 24 beers i could from purvis years ago.

Sandra says, 'your poor grammar is making me cross, young man'.

0.jpg

Dunno what it is about Sandra but she certainly floats my boat.

Back on topic: Epic Barrel Aged IPA (not my pic), sourced from the good guys at Platinum Liquor in Concorde, NSW* (see PS below for comment on the challenges of importing beer)

img_1276.jpg

Lush.......

Aroma is confusing, smells like tropical/sweet hop aroma but a bit too candy/perfume

Then you taste it and go 'Ah haa', that ain't just hops but that fruity/winey/oaky/cellar/vanilla thing that barrels will bring. Having said that it is in balance with the usual IPA suspects of freshness/citrus.

Not sure what barrels they used but the next time I use oak chips I am going to have to try and simulate the effect.

Overall I think a beer well worth tasting just to open a few doors in the mind re: flavours/aromas that work well. Similar experience with the LC Puffing Billy in that was the first beer I have had that used smoked malt in a way that integrated and worked rather than fought the beer.

Stew

PS. Bottle was bought from Platinum in Concorde. Bloke that runs the joint said he has had difficulty getting repeat buyers for many craftbrews. Basically most people (including me) wants to try something 'new' every time they come in. Therefore it is difficult for them to keep stocking good brews. He was not whingeing, just commenting.

For social reasons I was stuck on James Squires Amber (on tap) for all of this arvo and it turns out it is actually a pretty damned nice beer all things considered. Not a huge fan of the bottled version
Thought I'd try a sixer tonight. I am familiar with the the usual difference between kegged and bottled beer (and the perils faced by bottles at the hands of the larger retailers) but this is like it isn't even made by the same brewery. Is it even made by the same brewery? Do the bottles get made by one of the bigger Toohey's facilities? This is bad/bordering on terrible. I'm sure I wasn't getting hints of flyspray from the pints at the pub the other day.

Bought a six pack of Badlands Brewery (Orange NSW) Pale Ale to try.

They say:

A Golden ale, with a fresh, soft palette, unique fruity hint and a snappy bitterness in the finish that calls for another dangerously drinkable.

Inspired by the traditional summer ales from the heart of the English countryside. This beer delivers in all departments:

Huge thirst-quenching abilities,
Pairs brilliantly with a wide range of dishes - try it with pizza, pasta and anything from the BBQ,
Has a highly distinctive taste and aroma that entices and delights.
Our Pale Ale combines the highly praised, finest quality English Maris Otter malted barley with premium Joe White Australian Malt.

The distinctive aroma and flavour of the beer is delivered by a healthy measure of English Goldings Hops.

An ale to be savoured and remembered.

I say:

Poured into a glass, zero head...
Had a taste... there wasn't much.

Gave a glass to one of the guys in the office here for an independent review... "just tastes like Carlton".

Oh dear.

paleAle.png

DSCF2977.JPG

Picked this up this arvo, limited release fro Cage Road brewing.

The Convict Australian Strong Ale......tastes like an American pale ale to me but quite enjoying it.

Label lists insane amounts of, Summer, Sella and Galaxy hops all hops and malts are Aussie.

$8.00 640 ml and 7.2%

Batz

View attachment 59810

Picked this up this arvo, limited release fro Cage Road brewing.

The Convict Australian Strong Ale......tastes like an American pale ale to me but quite enjoying it.

Label lists insane amounts of, Summer, Sella and Galaxy hops all hops and malts are Aussie.

$8.00 640 ml and 7.2%

Batz

hi Batz,

I recently had the Cage Roads Pumpkin Ale and it was awful, this beer might just redeem themselves to my pallat....how was it?

Dan

hi Batz,

I recently had the Cage Roads Pumpkin Ale and it was awful, this beer might just redeem themselves to my pallat....how was it?

Dan

Come on the pumpkin ale was alright! Maybe you dont like pumpkin or got a bad bottle!?

hi Batz,

Dan

I quite liked it but then I like their IPA as well.

I recently had the Cage Roads Pumpkin Ale
Why the hell would buy that? Made for a Halloween night that Australians should not observe anyway.

Why the hell would buy that? Made for a Halloween night that Australians should not observe anyway.
[/quote]

Well..... My wife actually asked me to go to Dan Murphys and grab a pint of LCPA for a friend who she worked with as a bday gift. While there I seen a new beer eg pumpkin ale on the shelf and tried it out.....having already tried all there other stuff I thought it was a good chance.
I'm not into Halloween either.

I shouldn't do this, I really shouldn't - and the S.I.L should also have known better when he bought me that bottle.

Boilermaker.

boilermaker_1.jpg

OMFG, instant Korsakoff's Encephalopathy :)

boilermaker_2.jpg

Glenfiddich was chased by the Goat. Took me right back to Cardiff in the 1970s when I'd happily chug Glenfiddich with Pilsner Urquell chasers from the tall bottle (didn't use glasses :lol: ) - however I'm not 26 anymore :p

image.jpg
Wow I managed to learn how to use the iPad to do this...
got this from Aldi for 12 a sixer
sweet malt , minimal hops but definitely a quaffer...

had a right day of it so i thought i would treat meself :)

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc_014.JPGvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv_001__768x1024_.jpg

tap x
schneider weisse eisbock barrique 12%
aventinus eisbock aged in pinot noir barrels(red whine) for 15 month

humuner munhumner.... :icon_drool2:

pours almost flat, rich dark brown reddish colour, smells strong and almost port like. Taste lots of woody character with dark berry , vanilla and a port/rich red wine luster. I am left a little confused (not a 1st) as I am finding it hard to find the beer in there.

Definitely needs a cigar and a fireplace...

had a right day of it so i thought i would treat meself :)

View attachment 59861View attachment 59862

tap x
schneider weisse eisbock barrique 12%
aventinus eisbock aged in pinot noir barrels(red whine) for 15 month

humuner munhumner.... :icon_drool2:

pours almost flat, rich dark brown reddish colour, smells strong and almost port like. Taste lots of woody character with dark berry , vanilla and a port/rich red wine luster. I am left a little confused (not a 1st) as I am finding it hard to find the beer in there.

Definitely needs a cigar and a fireplace...
THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

Where can one acquire such a delight!?

Extraomnes Kerst - 10% belgian strong ale

had a tipple of this at... tipplers. been pretty surprised by the italian ones.

had a re ale a little while back also and was very impressed.

IMG_2637.JPG

Back