Whats cheap and simple enough for a Coopers kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy_sa

Reaction score
Hi

Long time since I brewed and that was BIAB method.
I got rid of all my gear apart from bottles and contents of a Coopers brew kit.
I'd like to put down a batch of a dark beer/stout or something German. I don't want allot of fuss or expense.
I had planned to just pick up a Coopers Dark Ale and what ever else Coopers products are suggested on the can but thought I'd check here for suggestions?

From what I've read their stout is one of their best kits.

MO

You can get most anything you need from the big hardware chain with the hammer logo.

They sell 25l water storage cubes that you can stick a tap in to make a decent fermentation chamber. You'll need a cheap plastic bucket with volume markings so you know how much you're putting in the cube. You can get funnels and stirrers and measuring jugs, and probably even a thermometer. If you're sanitising on the cheap you can also pick up bleach.

The only actual hb equip I used was a rubber bung that fit the size of the water cube opening and an airlock, but you can probably fashion both from stuff at the hardware shop if you have the inclination.

Dump the can contents and additional sugar and hot water into the bucket and mix it, then pour it into the cube. Use the bucket to measure out the required top up water into the cube, check the temp, and if it's all good pitch in the yeast and pop in the bung/airlock. Wait 4 weeks.

The cube has two deep channels running parallel in the bottom where the sediment collects. A few days before bottling give the cube a shake to stir it up, then chock the cube backwards so that the sediment drops into the rear channel. Then when you bottle you'll get less sediment sucked into the tap.

Prime your bottles with sugar, then fill them directly from the tap on the cube.

Probably around $40 in total, excluding bottles.

I already have a fermenter etc. I just don't have my old BIAB stainless kegs, boiler etc.

My post might have been better in the recipes/kit section. I'm pretty much looking to do a cheap kit receipe that's no fuss and tastes good. The Coopers kits recommend their 'beer enhancer' etc which I'm happy to buy but curious if a couple of changes are suggested to the recipe to enhance them etc or if I should go a different route.
My only preference is either a German beer pils/white or dark/stout style.

I already have a fermenter etc. I just don't have my old BIAB stainless kegs, boiler etc.

My post might have been better in the recipes/kit section. I'm pretty much looking to do a cheap kit receipe that's no fuss and tastes good. The Coopers kits recommend their 'beer enhancer' etc which I'm happy to buy but curious if a couple of changes are suggested to the recipe to enhance them etc or if I should go a different route.
My only preference is either a German beer pils/white or dark/stout style.

In that case just grab a stout or euro lager kit and off you go, nothing simpler than that.

Their wheat beer kit make a lovely hefeweizen if you add a kilo of wheat DME instead of sugar and use fermentis WB06 yeast instead of the kit one

1 can Draught, or Pale, or any others.
1 kg Dextrose
Good sanitation and a good healthy yeast pitch being the most important thing.
The packet yeast is good but not enough. Get it up in a starter as small as 250ml to 500ml. (Good sanitation etc)
pitch when it is frothy.

Then the world is your oyster for subtle alternatives and variations.
But that basic beer, Is the easiest, cheapest decent home brew I can think of. Vary the volume for alcohol percentage.

Latest posts

Back