Whats A More Malty Less Hoppy Beer ? (i Need A Recipe)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
i have been happily making DSGA and LFPA or slight random hop and malt variations but mostly i guess these are more hop driven beers.
when i say hop driven they are certainly a lot more hoppy than mega swill to me... and overpower the malt IMO ?

what sort of thing should i make to get a more malty brew? i prefer Ales and i am not really into dark beers.

i BIAB, have the mill and CB is not far away so most things are possible :)

Thanks

Have you tried either of the Brown recipes Argon?

Yep the Southern. Enjoyed it, but i mashed it at 66C instead of the 68C he suggests. Next time i'd mash at above 68C or wouldn't even mind bumping up the OG a few points for the extra body. I'd even thow in some flame out EKG, but i reckon it'd start throwing it out of style.

As above, plus Scottish Export. Or English Barley Wine if you're keen :D

Cheers,
tallie

Damn BIAB limitations.

well i can go 2 v with esky mash tun and copper manifold but BIAB is just easy for a lazy brewer...

just boiling up some Ale now a varied DRGA :icon_drool2:

northen brewer and cascade for hops

Have a search for an altbier recipe, I think there's a style of the month thread on it!

When someone says malty less hoppy ale, I think Scottish ales, Light, Heavy, Export or Wee Heavy.

English Bitters can also be balanced more towards malt than hops.

But if you want malty then you should also consider some lagers, like Vienna Lager or Dopplebocks.

However my number one suggestion is not to think too much about the style of beer e.g. will I make an Ordinary Bitter, but instead what yeast should I use for a malty ale, e.g. should I make an Ordinary Bitter with Wyeast 1968?

Yeast selection will have a big impact on the perceived maltiness of the final beer.

Cheers
MAH

Altbier - can do it with Nottingham for ultra laziness. Bitter, but not hoppy. WLP036 if you can get it is great.

If you want to go down the lager route, there is plenty, e.g. Bock, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Dunkel.

brewing at 11.00 am on a monday????....i hate you :icon_cheers: .......cheers.......spog....
well i can go 2 v with esky mash tun and copper manifold but BIAB is just easy for a lazy brewer...

just boiling up some Ale now a varied DRGA :icon_drool2:

northen brewer and cascade for hops

Kinda sounds like bribie g' midnight train is more your style. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=Midnight+train

There are si many variants for 'more malt', like water chem, mash tenp, yeast, attenuation, grains, malt/hop balance, is kunda like asking how long is a piece of string. Ur post is kind of vague, u lije ales, but not the ales youve brewed. U certianly havent pick reaaly hop driven beers tgere. And is it tge bitterness, the flavour? Diff hops will have differant aggressiveness chatacteristics. What dont u like about dark beers? Tgey are generakky nalty (most are not all).

bit more info req for us to be more helpful to u.

Excuse speeeeling. On phone on a train

i have been happily making DSGA and LFPA or slight random hop and malt variations but mostly i guess these are more hop driven beers.
when i say hop driven they are certainly a lot more hoppy than mega swill to me... and overpower the malt IMO ?

what sort of thing should i make to get a more malty brew? i prefer Ales and i am not really into dark beers.

Thanks

Do an Alt it's malt driven. English browns as well. There are heaps of recipes in "brewing classic styles" you should have a look at that.

EDIT: should have read the thread first. what they said

Kinda sounds like bribie g' midnight train is more your style. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=Midnight+train

There are si many variants for 'more malt', like water chem, mash tenp, yeast, attenuation, grains, malt/hop balance, is kunda like asking how long is a piece of string. Ur post is kind of vague, u lije ales, but not the ales youve brewed. U certianly havent pick reaaly hop driven beers tgere. And is it tge bitterness, the flavour? Diff hops will have differant aggressiveness chatacteristics. What dont u like about dark beers? Tgey are generakky nalty (most are not all).

bit more info req for us to be more helpful to u.

Excuse speeeeling. On phone on a train

That is what I was kinda thinking as well. Vague question and the beers the OP noted were not hop driven really.

Thanks

Go for a belgian pale ale,
Saaz at 60min only for bittering to 25-28 IBU, no late hops required.
Malt as much belgian as you can get, but who cares if its not

say a 25 litre batch

2.5 pale

1.5 vienna

400g aromatic

400g belgian biscuit (amber malt as a substitute)

50g acidulated malt (approximate for Ph)

mash temp a few degrees (2-3) lower than say US05 or saf 04 for similar attenuation levels
Brew salts, just calcium, no strong sulphate or carbonate. I'd tend to spread it over the different salts not to have too much chloride.

Yeast belgian ardennes WY3522 20-22 degrees

go for medium carbonation, super head, great clarity, soft fruit esters but no sharp or tart flavours like many of the belgian styles. Also carbs up & drops out within a week for bottle conditioning.

Brew hard.

@ Citymorgue2 and Gav80

i guess it's vague as i don't know enough beers and really need to be more adventurous...

maybe if you offered a little list of a say 2 good beers to go buy per style ?

maybe 2 brown ale ? (color about newcastle BA ?)
scotch ale ?
Red Ale ?
or ?

i know LFPA and DRSGA are not massive hop beers, but compared to megaswill even LCPA or the SNPA i just drank my HB seems to have a much bigger hop / citrus punch.

just trying to diversify but not end up with a keg of something i don't really like...

thanks for your input :)

Don't care much for your ale preferences, sounds like you should brew Munich Helles! :D
You need a recipe too? 100% base malt, 20IBU bittering + lager yeast FTW! :icon_cheers:

When I think about malty well balanced ales the first one that pops up is Fat Tyre Amber Ale have had the pleasure of tasting it in very good condition thanks to a good friend using up his luggage allowance.
New Belgium doesnt in my experience make any bad beers and this one is just about a perfect example of a malty amber.
There is a good recipe in the BYO 250 recipes magazine and another one here Brew 365, sorry about the units.
I prefer the hopping on the first one in the Brew 365, just a bit softer finishing with the Willamette, the Northern Brewer is so clean it doesnt get in the way of the malt at all.
Mark

I really like Jamils Scotish Ales and if you have the spec malts I'd recommend giving them a whirl, see http://beerdujour.com/jamilsrecipes.htm

While Altbiers have been mentioned by a few, I'm lead to be that this reflects our experiences of Alts that land (and are produced) here in Oz and that the real deal can have quite a solid hop character. Anywho thats another story, I've still got a lot of tweaking to do to my Alts, one being to increase their hoppiness to better reflect this too.

Back