what yeast for a super high gravity beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bum said:
+1But's the point really - they aren't. Worst case scenario is they'll waste some grain, yeast, energy in controlling ferment temps and an arvo amongst mates (getting pissed, most likely). Worse things can happen.Sounds like they're starting out from a position they know is unlikely to succeeed but they want to see if it is possible.Kezza, pretty much all of the naysayers make good points. If you want to reduce your goals somewhat and make a potentially good, big beer then have a listen. Otherwise, I'm really keen to see how this goes. Good luck.
The worst thing to happen is we get pissed and blow $150 having fun

Sorry - just re-read my long read... definitely a good read, but specifics on the high gravity process are absent... must have done some more research afterwards.

This one contains more info + link to Jamil podcast... there's lots of info on yeasts + (involved) process. You'll want less malt and more dextrose to get where you want to go.
http://www.homebrewchef.com/120minuteIPArecipe.html

Big yeast cake from low gravity beer or a couple of vials of WLP007 plus a packet of US05?! Dar
e to be great.

99 will rescue most stalled high gravity beers without changing the flavour profile much. I have a vial I prob won't use for ages I'd be happy to swap for another strain. I'd typically revert to 99 off the bat for a barely wine, but using a lower attenuating ale yeast that has the characteristics you want first is perhaps better. I guess it's handy to have in reserve if you brew a lot of strong ales.

Back