What Wyeast To Use For A Belgian Strong?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
As I am getting into this liquid yeast thing, I am planning to do a Belgian strong ale, and noticed heaps of Wyeast varieties. I was wondering what one would work best for a style similar to Duvel.

STEPHEN

Steven,

Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale. Supposed to be the Duvel strain YMMV. Best choice though I'd say.

Warren -

SJW said:
As I am getting into this liquid yeast thing, I am planning to do a Belgian strong ale, and noticed heaps of Wyeast varieties. I was wondering what one would work best for a style similar to Duvel.
[post="67321"][/post]​

I selected the 1388 for a Tripel I did last weekend. They say it is the Duvel yeast so it would be your best bet. I can't say how good it has turned out yet but I have had a taste from the fermenter and it seems to be coming along nicely.

1388 seems to be good i have just bottle an ale with and it did taste good from the fermentor

also by the sounds of it the 1762 could be good

I love 1762 to pieces, but being the rochefort yeast it seems to be more suited to the darker end of the spectrum. It blends brilliantly with carafa special III to give those plummy flavours.

I recommend 1388 as well.

Latest posts

Back