What Would This System Be Called?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
Cold water passes through a 3way valve and into an on-demand water heater then it dumps into an insulated tank.

From that tank via another 3 way gate valve can recirculate through the heater and tank till it gets up to mash temperature. From there the water can go to the MLT.

In the MLT it can do it's Mashing and afterward Recirculative Laudering via another pump and dual 3way valve system...Whilst that is going on various required temperatures of strike waters etc... can be heating up back at the heater loop.

Once it's made wort we can gravity feed to the boil pot.

I'm just trying to learn these methods. I wouldn't actually put this together, I think it would work. Yes I am aware there are some critically important shut off valves and power off switches missing.

Cheers

Bob

waterheater.JPG

A Brewery???....

:ph34r:

Dont know what youd call it, but its nothing that isnt already been done.

Its basically just a recirulating HLT, (which i do) and then recirulating mash setup. Everything else seems normal.

The easier way to recirculate the HLT, is to just add an electric element to it and hook up an STC1000.

A Brewery???....

:ph34r:

It's not quite a RIMS style because the wort in the MLT isn't being reheated as it cycles through the pump. I imagine these pump lines would need to be insulated

I'd call it too hard to process at 7pm on a friday night...sorry!

I'd call it faulty and wastefull. The mash is recirculating but not heating, its going to lose alot of temp over an hour or so. Also the kettle has no tap.

Its a perpetual motion brewery machine, umm not going to work to your advantage.
No tap, who needs a tap :p
Nev

There is a tap on the kettle. I just didn't demonstrate it going to a fermenter. You familiar with the magnifying glass function on picture files on this site?

I stated before I wouldn't actually build this. When some brewers are building their giant racks with solenoid controlled gate valves and temp sensors, with the exception of the missing wort recirculation heater, isn't what I illustrated close to a RIMS brewery?

I used a heat exchange water heater in the beginning of the circuit thinking it would be faster than an immersion heater. The one shown above heats 28.5L/Hour 35C over starting temperature and it only costs around $150

There is a tap on the kettle. I just didn't demonstrate it going to a fermenter. You familiar with the magnifying glass function on picture files on this site?

I stated before I wouldn't actually build this. When some brewers are building their giant racks with solenoid controlled gate valves and temp sensors, with the exception of the missing wort recirculation heater, isn't what I illustrated close to a RIMS brewery?

I used a heat exchange water heater in the beginning of the circuit thinking it would be faster than an immersion heater. The one shown above heats 28.5L/Hour 35C over starting temperature and it only costs around $150

Can I get these numbers straight?

Litres of water: 28.5L
Time: 1 hour
Temp change: 35c

If so that's equivalent to an electric immersion element 240v / 1200w. I've never seen a HLT heating element that small :eek:

You can get a 2200w s/s element here for $40 and you don't need the pump to recirc it, just a quick stir a couple of minutes before you mash in to ensure no heat layers in the HLT.

Or better for a HLT since you are only heating water and not wort, rip out a 2000w element from a $8 kettle.

QldKev

Can I get these numbers straight?

Litres of water: 28.5L
Time: 1 hour
Temp change: 35c

If so that's equivalent to an electric immersion element 240v / 1200w. I've never seen a HLT heating element that small :eek:

You can get a 2200w s/s element here for $40 and you don't need the pump to recirc it, just a quick stir a couple of minutes before you mash in to ensure no heat layers in the HLT.

Or better for a HLT since you are only heating water and not wort, rip out a 2000w element from a $8 kettle.

QldKev

So use the pump only to fill the MLT then brewstand doesn't need to be roof high

It's not a RIMS or HERMS because you're not heating the mash.

So it's a 3V system with a bunch of pumps ;)

Btw to everyone else I think those in the USA have similar issues with 2400W elements like we have with 3600W elements

It's not a RIMS or HERMS because you're not heating the mash.

So it's a 3V system with a bunch of pumps ;)

Btw to everyone else I think those in the USA have similar issues with 2400W elements like we have with 3600W elements
I was thinking this would be a faster more efficient method of heating since it would be cumulative.

The first run through eg. 12C + 35C = 47C

THEN 47C + 35C= 82c

And so on

Back