What Will You Be Drinking For The World Cup?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Have any of you football fans brewed up anything just for the world cup period? I plan on watching a lot of the games, and at times will have mates over to watch them (namelythe Ghana bs Serbia and australia vs Germany night - which works out to be the night before a public holiday) so I've brewed up 2 batches for it. A Munich helles and a Munich dunkel. Have got them both kegged and lagering at the moment awaiting to be tapped for the first game. The helles should be a crowd pleaser, but I'll most probably be sticking to the dunkel - probably one of my top 5 beer styles.

If I do get my bronco tap fitted in time, I might have a chinook ipa ready as well, but I'm not too sure how much everyone would like that.

Is anyone excited about the world cup as I am?

sounds like u need to share ur recipes :)

Have any of you football fans brewed up anything just for the world cup period? I plan on watching a lot of the games, and at times will have mates over to watch them (namelythe Ghana bs Serbia and australia vs Germany night - which works out to be the night before a public holiday) so I've brewed up 2 batches for it. A Munich helles and a Munich dunkel. Have got them both kegged and lagering at the moment awaiting to be tapped for the first game. The helles should be a crowd pleaser, but I'll most probably be sticking to the dunkel - probably one of my top 5 beer styles.

If I do get my bronco tap fitted in time, I might have a chinook ipa ready as well, but I'm not too sure how much everyone would like that.

I make a point of watching as many games as I can when it's on so yes I am excited. Haven't brewed anything specific although I intend to have beer on hand for the rest of my days. I also have a tradition which combines single malt, the world cup and me asleep in the chair during second half at 4am.

Just the usual.

Hop syrup.

Not sure about the England coverage over here (and your bloody ad breaks - there'll be one every throw in...! :p )

So I guess you guys'll just be making the one, small batch then...?!

Err, I'll get my coat...

I brewed an Aussie style (insipid, weak, fizzy, cold, Lite, 5%) for anyone still talking to me (called it Alpha Pale...).

Just the usual.

Hop syrup.

Not sure about the England coverage over here (and your bloody ad breaks - there'll be one every throw in...! :p )

Err, I'll get my coat...

I brewed an Aussie style (insipid, weak, fizzy, cold, Lite, 5%) for anyone still talking to me (called it Alpha Pale...).

(Flame suit time)

Whats it called ? 2 games and a 24 hour flight ?

I'll be in the states, so hoping to find a few good craft beers.

vs Germany I'll be at Fenway Park for Boston vs Philadelhia.. Kick off 90 minutes after the first pitch... Bugger!
vs Ghana I'll be at the NHC in Minneapolis.. Kick off as the first lectures start... Bugger!
vs Serbia I'll be rafting in Fort Collins Co.. Kick off is at 12:30pm local, might be at New Belgium by then, but I doubt it... Bugger!

I'll be in the states, so hoping to find a few good craft beers.

vs Germany I'll be at Fenway Park for Boston vs Philadelhia.. Kick off 90 minutes after the first pitch... Bugger!
vs Ghana I'll be at the NHC in Minneapolis.. Kick off as the first lectures start... Bugger!
vs Serbia I'll be rafting in Fort Collins Co.. Kick off is at 12:30pm local, might be at New Belgium by then, but I doubt it... Bugger!
If it's really an issue I'll swap you...

Just the usual.

Hop syrup.

Err, I'll get my coat...

There isn't any ad breaks in soccer shown on sbs (soccer, bloody soccer). The only time I have seen that was channel 7 broadcasting the 2008 Olympic soccer matches.

Considering the weather, winter warmers might be the order of the day during the World Cup.

Though i'm just about to keg my first beer since moving up to Newcastle; got given a draught lager kit so I bumped together the first K&K beer i've made in about 2 years, and dumped in a truckload of Warrior hops in a vain attempted to mask the crappiness of the kit...should suffice for a World Cup session beer anyway.

Considering the weather, winter warmers might be the order of the day during the World Cup.

With Australia playing 2 of their pool games at 4.00am and one at 12.30am, I guess I'll be drinking hot coffee !

That said, I think it best I drink an Irish Red on tap in memory of a team robbed its place in SA by the hand of Frog! :lol: By the way, the Irish Red is eligible for the ESB World Cup brew off!

le_handball_de_henry.jpg

With Australia playing 2 of their pool games at 4.00am and one at 12.30am, I guess I'll be drinking hot coffee !

That said, I think it best I drink an Irish Red on tap in memory of a team robbed its place in SA by the hand of Frog! :lol: By the way, the Irish Red is eligible for the ESB World Cup brew off!

View attachment 38032

1986 - Hand of god
2009 - Hand of frog

Drinking :-

1) Whats left of my Danish Lager V2 (probably a non-starter if based on how much I have quaffed today)
2) "Double Chook", my double strength speckled hem, won't be seeing anything after 1/2 time with this one
3) "last minute world cup ale"

I'm not sure i'll be in Adelaide for the first match might lock my gear up in the bus lockers hit the town and sleep on the bus.

Other three or so games will be whatever i can get my hands on. :lol:

I guess I will drink whatever I can smuggle into darling harbor :)

Go Ital....err.. Australia!

Anyone mind if I start now... gotta try it out...

Maybe one of these is in order.
OuiWereRobbed_500.jpg

I'm going out of my way to completely ignore the world cup. I don't give a shit the other 99% of the time, why should I care now?

The only impact it will have on me is making the transit through JNB airport even more of a pain in the arse than usual. But hopefully the increased volume of bagge will improve the odds of mine being stolen.

Given the night time's of the matches... about all I'll be brewing is strong coffee !!

Seriously... ;)
Whatever is in the fridge will be demolished !

Latest posts

Back