What volumes of c02 = gusher?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lael

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bottled a delirium clone to 4 volumes in swingtops. Does anyone know what volume will produce 'gushers'? Is there a given volume? I read a ton before choosing 4 vols, but haven't found anyone putting a number on voumes = gushers. Would love some anecdotal experience / advice.

I've bottled a sparkling mead around 4.5 volumes. It didn't gush out of the bottle (champagne), but it sure as shit fills the glass with foam.
The foam settles quickly enough though. I imagine a beer would be damn hard to pour though.

Nick JD said:
Depends on serving temperature.
I assume you mean of the beer? - assuming a serving temp of 8C... how do you figure it out?

Depends on other factors too. Storage temperature and nucleation points are two major ones.

If you store the beer warm/hot and don't chill it right down for a while before serving, it can gush.
If you have any hop debris etc in there (so the last few bottles of the batch with particulate matter for example) it can gush.
Combo of the two - whoosh.

Sorry I can't give you a formula.

manticle said:
Depends on other factors too. Storage temperature and nucleation points are two major ones.

If you store the beer warm/hot and don't chill it right down for a while before serving, it can gush.
If you have any hop debris etc in there (so the last few bottles of the batch with particulate matter for example) it can gush.
Combo of the two - whoosh.

I am assuming that is my problem at the moment...plus a little bit of overcarbing -_- but I have a bit of hop matter in my beer and last night it was rock solid when not in the fridge, opened one slowly and gush city!! They are now all in the fridge :lol:

manticle said:
No problem! the experience is helpful! I cold crashed for 5 days at 4C - so hopefully it is pretty clear.

Back