What US breweries to visit, beers to seek out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SBOB said:
You can get Karl Strauss over at DCA (California Adventure)
One of my fond memories of disneyland trip a couple of years ago is walking around DCA after dark, drinking a Karl Strauss IPA. Its like a big kids heaven :)
If there's anything I would have been sniffing out on the day, it would be booze... I saw there's a beer joint not too far south of disneyland, might hit it before venturing back for the night

kalbarluke said:
My wife, like yours, couldn't give two shits about beer and she really enjoyed it.
She's just starting to get in to beer, she'll drink a lot of pales, kolsch, lighter styles... Still turns her nose up at some piss lagers even these days.

As for getting her to enjoy an IPA or a fat stout. Life goals.

Sounds like my wife before we spent 18 months in North America. By the end of it she was sucking back Torpedo Extra IPAs for an afternoon session.

mstrelan said:
Sounds like my wife before we spent 18 months in North America. By the end of it she was sucking back Torpedo Extra IPAs for an afternoon session.
who wouldnt be, when its like $10 a 6 pack over there :)

You have to hit up Alesmith in SD, make sure you save enough stamina to hit up the hidden 'speakeasy' barrel room in there. It's amazing.
12 barrel aged monsters to go nuts on[emoji43] Modern Times is an absolute must while you're in SD as well. Definitely try their stouts on nitro and their juicy ipas. Toronado is a killer bar with a huge selection and bottlecraft in Little Italy is a great spot to get some hard to find take always[emoji41] Cork & Craft for a great restaurant with beer (abnormal) and food pairing.. so good!

In NY head to OtherHalf in Brooklyn, a little hard to find but worth the effort. Ridiculously good IPAS.
A great bar in Brooklyn is Tørst, owned by Evil Twin with a constantly amazing selection on tap.

Cellarmaker and Mikkeller bar in SF also... have fun and get Uber's!!

I'm planning a west coast USA driving trip for 3-4 weeks from mid October. Taking note of some of the suggestions in this thread.

The main areas​ of beer interest for me are San Diego, Bend and Portland though I'm sure I'll stumble upon some unknown gems elsewhere.

cliffo said:
I'm planning a west coast USA driving trip for 3-4 weeks from mid October. Taking note of some of the suggestions in this thread.

The main areas​ of beer interest for me are San Diego, Bend and Portland though I'm sure I'll stumble upon some unknown gems elsewhere.
Check out Deschutes and Ninkasi in Oregon

unwrittenlaw said:
Check out Deschutes and Ninkasi in Oregon
Deschutes is definitely on the list. Also planning to visit Sierra Nevada in Chico and Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa.

I've got shivers just thinking about it! :D

Latest posts

Back