What Type Of Sanitizer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churchy

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone just wondering what type of sanitizer people use on their equipment.I'm after a good no rinse sanitizer because they are quick and no rinsing required and I'm lazy.

Cheers Andrew

Merry Christmas everyone just wondering what type of sanitizer people use on their equipment.I'm after a good no rinse sanitizer because they are quick and no rinsing required and I'm lazy.

Cheers Andrew

Starsan from Craftbrewer here. No-rinse, re-useable, 6ml makes up 5 litres.

Cheers
Gavo.

A topic thats been fairly well done to death....
starsan and iodophor are both very highly thought of. Starsan has the added advantage of a foaming action to get it into nooks and crannies.

Bleach/acid combination....30mL/19L water, with 30mL acetic acid. somewhat contreversial due to possible clorophenol issues (speculation), as well as being detrimental to stainless steel (fact). Charlie talley (from 5star chemicals, the makers of starsan) talks about this in a basicbrewing podcast.

Edit: any sanatiser, particularly no rinse, is only effective on clean surfaces. Charlie Talley from 5 star emphasises in his basicbrewing interview that cleaning is the most important part of sanitation...and that sanatisers are really only an 'insurance policy that you have cleaned properly' (his words)

I just bought the 500mL Starsan from CraftBrewer. 1mL to 1L of water. Put some in a spray bottle and never been happier! this will last me almost an entire year.

I just bought the 500mL Starsan from CraftBrewer. 1mL to 1L of water. Put some in a spray bottle and never been happier! this will last me almost an entire year.

Hi Guys,

I think you'll find your Starsan under strength at that ratio. By my calculations it's 1ml of Starsan per 630ml of water - I always use 1ml Starsan per 500ml demineralised water and have no issues with my brews.

1oz\5gal = 1ml\630ml

Mick

Five Star, the makers of StarSan, recommend 1 ounce per 5 gallons of water, so with 1 ounce being 28 grams and 5 gallons being 18.9 litres, that's a usage of 1.5 grams per litre. This corresponds with Craftbrewers recommendation of 1.5 ml per litre for no-rinse applications.

The last few posts bring up one of the most improtant points of sanatisiation; regardless of what sanatiser is used, it should be made up to the manufacturers reccomended concentrations. They work out those concentrations for a reason, after all. ;)

Five Star, the makers of StarSan, recommend 1 ounce per 5 gallons of water, so with 1 ounce being 28 grams and 5 gallons being 18.9 litres, that's a usage of 1.5 grams per litre. This corresponds with Craftbrewers recommendation of 1.5 ml per litre for no-rinse applications.

Is the oz a fluid oz or a weight oz?

1 fl oz = 29.6ml

1 oz - 28gms

Starsan is a liquid so I would assume it was a fluid measure.

Mick

After making over half a tonne of beer in the last six months using four fermenters, over two hundred PET bottles, tubes, spoons etc I have not used anything other than:

Woolies plain bleach mixed at the rate of about one to ten of water from the HWS which is solar, and around here it gets so hot it would literally take your skin off:
Napisan if removing a yeast ring at the inside of the bottle.

Ample usage of the above hot water for rinsing etc

Religious rinsing of PET bottles after pouring and before supping.

Never lost a brew or had a crook bottle.

I bought a tub of the old Sodium Met in June when I started off, it's still unopened in my brew cupboard.

Fermenters: wash with hot water twice. Add dishwashing detergent like Tandil or Blast and wash it as if it's a huge coffee cup, using a soft dishwash cloth. Rinse three times with the super hot water. Add the bleach mixture and leave for at least overnight. Rinse with cold tap water three times. Scour with the super hot water before filling.

There's usually so much grunting and shaking going on in the laundry the Mrs comes out to see if I've got a sheep in there :lol:

If there's anything left alive in my fermenters before filling I'll walk to Bourke.

Bottles: Mix up three litres of solution of the bleach, fill bottles about one sixth, shake and cap and walk away for half an hour. Rinse three times with tap water and once with fairly hot water (the superhot will melt them). Bottle

If there's any hint of a ring at the top of the bottle, I fill with napisan solution and leave for a few days. Napisan will eat just about anything.

Thanks for link, Ducati, I didn't realise that hot water neutralises bleach so will switch to mixing with cold water for general usage.

Ample usage of the above hot water for rinsing etc
That's the only problem with bleach and napisan.
You need to rinse the buggery out of them.

With water restrictions down here (you can't even wash your car) I use the non rinse stuff like starsan
and iodopher.

Hmmm...

For those rinsing after sanitizing, why are you spending your money on sanitizer?
When you rinse, you just undo all your hard work by putting in bugs that live in your water supply.

get a good no rinse sanitizer or use boiling hot water.

H.

After you buy some starsan, realise how long it will last you, how inexpensive it turns out to be, how easy it is to use and how effective it is, there really is no substitute. Fantastic stuff for both the meticulous brewers and lazy brewers alike.
Couple that with PBW, and there is no turning back.
Cheers,
Scott.

When you rinse, you just undo all your hard work by putting in bugs that live in your water supply.

I appreciate the point, but if local domestic water was so dangerously bug ridden then there would be no kit and kilo, or kits and bits, or partial mash brewing because we top up the fermenters with litres and litres of good ol town water.

Like I posted above, no probs with twenty five brews. No doubt the odd bug does live in town water but up to now my yeasties and alcohol in the brew have run em out of town.

I'm now AGing but basically trust the local supply.

2.5L of orthophosphoric acid - check
liquid hand soap - check
water - check

Hey Doc

Are you using the soap as a
surfactant when washing? (not your hands) How well does it work ? Also do you know if it's septic safe?
Sorry for all the questions, just looking for a low cost/low tox solution.

H.

Latest posts

Back