What Type Of Beer Did I Drink ? Or Was This Just A Wishful Dream ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoop

Reaction score
I know it is a ridiculous sounding question but when I was younger I tried a homebrew that reminded me almost of cooked beef and vegemite it had little to no bitterness and was a very flavourful beer, strong flavours. it was not dark but and was not light in colour, it was inbetween but on the lighter side .

Is this a thing or was this just a dream I had of meat flavoured beer ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

carbonated bonox? :icon_vomit: :p
yeah i agree with goomba probably a rauch.

search bacon beer.

i seem to remeber one at bitter & twisted a few years back.

That bacon beer from hunter beer co (potters) was gross.
Reminded me of those dry bacon bits that used to show up
at pizza hut and sizzler

a few of us are playing with smoke malt at the moment. tried one guys very plain pale ale recipe with smoke and my god it was drinking liquid smoked ham. great stuff.

a few of us are playing with smoke malt at the moment. tried one guys very plain pale ale recipe with smoke and my god it was drinking liquid smoked ham. great stuff.

Yup, did a Rauchroggenweiss for QABC, nice beer, got hammered because it wasn't near the (assumed) base style, but still was 0.5pt from a bronze.

Tastes a bit like banana bread cooked on a smoky campfire and served with bacon, Canadian style.

Goomba

I made a 100% Weyermann Smoked beer once.

All it needed was some split peas and a swirl of sour cream.

When you opened the bottles it went, "Oink!"

Haven't done one since.

I like to add a weeny bit of smoked malt to some styles where it's absence could be noted, but it's presence not. YMMV and probably does.

Hmmmm, thanks for the replies. Maybe I cannot put into words what I am trying to ask. It wasn't smoky flavoured (This to me sounds delicious) or taste like ham.

Looks like I will just have to brew my way through all beer types and find what I am searching for.

I have a smoked choc porter on tap now with 25% Weyermann smoked malt. I probably would be hesitant to add to much more but it's really nice with the darker malts.

Well, I found this which seems like the taste would seem to indeed be from autolysis. The thing is, it was just a little more than a hint of flavour in the beer and I actually loved it. Oh well, I do not think I will purposely try and get my yeast to eat itself as it seems like most of the time this ruins the beer.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=22822

Could be some kind of Brown Ale, I get a hint of vegemitey/gravyish flavour from some of them. Would fit the colour/rough taste description - malty, not so much hops - amber to dark colour, though I'm not so sure on the 'cooked beef'.
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style11.php#1c

My last smoked Porter was good while young
At 3 months it tasted like i eating a piece of WOOD

Latest posts

Back