What to do with these hops....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourlambs

Reaction score
Ok. I have cleaned out the fridge and have the following,

50g Fuggles, 50g Cascade and 50g Simcoe.

seeking recommendations on order of addition and boil time for a pale ale Style.

It will be all grain with wheat and victory malts. US05 Yeast.

Thanks 😑

~10g Simcoe @ 60 mins
~10g ea Fuggles/Cascade @ 10 mins
~10g ea Fuggles/Cascade @ 5 mins
~10g ea Fuggles/Cascade/Simcoe @ Whirlpool/Aroma
~30g Simcoe @ Dry Hop
~20g ea Fuggles/Cascade @ Dry Hop

..or something like that 🤔 not sure what your AA%'s, grain bill or volumes are so you might need to adjust those amounts up/down to hit target IBU of between 30-35.. adjust the Simcoe bittering addition up or down to suit..

Sorry , should have mentioned this is an American Pale Ale I am targeting, not sure if this changes anything?

Well it does in terms of the amounts, for sure, I think 150g is on the light side personally but I like hoppy beers so I'm not sure if our expectations align! ;)

Here's the hop schedule (250g total - 33 IBU) I used on a pale I brewed very recently (infact I'm due to do the dry hop today and may increase the amount below)..
15 g (7 IBU) — Amarillo 7.9% — Boil — 15 min
15 g
(8 IBU) — Mosaic 11.1% — Boil — 10 min
15 g
(4 IBU) — Amarillo 7.9% — Boil — 5 min
15 g
(2 IBU) — Mosaic 11.1% — Boil — 0 min
50 g
(5 IBU) — Amarillo 7.9% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand @ 76 °C
50 g
(7 IBU) — Centennial 10.2% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand @ 76 °C
50 g
— Mosaic 11.1% — Dry Hop — 3 days
40 g
— Centennial 10.2% — Dry Hop —
3 days

For a while there I was only doing a bittering addition and whirlpool additions, I just started adding back in the late boil additions and it's really made a difference in terms of the depth of flavour.

Here's an IPA (335g total - 60 IBU) I did a few weeks back, probably one of the best beers I've brewed in a long time (apart from a recent pale which was fantastic but just lacked those late boil additions, hence the new schedule in the pale above)..
10 g (15 IBU) — Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) 15% — Boil — 60 min
20 g
(11 IBU) — Centennial 10.2% — Boil — 15 min
20 g
(9 IBU) — Centennial 10.2% — Boil — 10 min
20 g
(6 IBU) — Centennial 10.2% — Boil — 5 min
20 g
(3 IBU) — Centennial 10.2% — Boil — 0 min
60 g
(5 IBU) — Cascade 6% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand @ 76 °C
60 g
(13 IBU) — Enigma 16.7% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand @ 76 °C
40 g
— Cascade 6% — Dry Hop — 3 days
40 g
— Enigma 16.7% — Dry Hop — 3 days
30 g
— Centennial 10.2% — Dry Hop — 3 days
15 g
— Galaxy 15.6% — Dry Hop —
3 days

Maybe leave out the Fuggles or use just a little bit in the boil. APAs work really well with SImcoe and Cascade.
I'm sure there probably are APAs with Fuggles but they're more suited to UK styles.

I agree with this, I only included because 100g of hops in an APA isn't going to cut it. Alternatively, you could do a hoppy porter or cascadian dark ale, fuggles works really well in darker beers. That's not to say you couldn't use it in a pale, I've not personally done that..

When you talk about these hop quantities, what is your batch size?
I am only brewing 23lt here.

Read an interesting article recently about re-using hops (commercially) apparently spent hops still have approx 50% of their oils, different composition percentage wise of course but some US breweries are experimenting with re-using them in a different style of beer.
Given the price of the stuff I'm watching it with interest.

Back