What To Do With A Can Of Tooheys Draught Lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODDBALL

Reaction score
I was over at my father in laws earlier tonight and he produced a can of Tooheys Draught Lager from his cupboard. It has only been there a few Months (apparently) and he does not want it. (He was given it at work) anyway, what Can I do with it to spice it up a bit and also help me improve my skill level before I move on to Jayse's reciepe.

As you may know, so far I have brewed two kits and basically followed the instructions to the letter so I am looking for the next step but I want to go one step at a time in order to learn from my own experience's and practice.

Whaddya reckon?

use it for liquid yeast starters :) ....

others will give you usefull Kit beer idea's, i just never had great results with the kits (others have though)

Gout said:
use it for liquid yeast starters :) ....

others will give you usefull Kit beer idea's, i just never had great results with the kits (others have though)
[post="59287"][/post]​
Smart thinking. I will keep it for that but I have a few questions.

1) Will it make any future brews taste of Tooheys lager if I use it for a starter?

2) How much water should I add to it to make starters?

:super:

Hey Oddball, why dont you use it for that beer can BBQ chicken recipe on one of the posts a few weeks ago. Apperently you stick a half can of beer up the chickens arse andf sit it on the BBQ for an hour or there abouts. Suppose to come out nice and juicy. :p :chug: :beer:

To Make Tooheys Lager Good:

1) Open the can and empty contents into a large saucepan
2) Into your fermenter, add any other brew that has some bitterness, flavour & aroma.
3) Discard the contents of the sauspan!

Seriously, Toohey Lager would have to be the most boring beer ever created and put the plight of your average kit brewer back 5 years.

Yeast starters would be a good idea, or you could literally use it as a second can in something a bit more substancial.

When it first come out we were told that they were aiming it at "The Punter" ... a term we hate ... obviously the Punter has no taste buds

Add Borax to it and use it as roach bait!

spread it on your toast?

Sorry, didn't want to jump on that bandwagon, but we're only weasels when we're pissed. You know. Boys will be boys.

I'm sure you can jazz it up with some hops and malted grains, but you'll benefit from simply using malt extract instead of sugar, dextrose or brew enhancer. After all, it's malt that makes beer isn't it?

ODDBALL said:
...... what Can I do with it to spice it up a bit and also help me improve my skill level....

As you may know, so far I have brewed two kits and basically followed the instructions to the letter so I am looking for the next step but I want to go one step at a time in order to learn from my own experience's and practice.

Whaddya reckon?
[post="59282"][/post]​

Ok i'll have a bash at the answer I think your looking for, all coments about the can i'll get away early.
1/ give it to the kids to take to school for show and smell :blink:
2/makes good grub bait and even a nice door stop. :blink:

Anyway why not go with the hitting the next step head on.
Try a 1kg partial mash and boil it up with any 1kg brew booster pack for about 5mins with 30grams of CASCADE :p

Eitherway you go about it if your after improving your technic i'd be doing a small boil, get some fresh hops and some grain in there.
Other types of grain you could use in the kilo mash besides any pilsner, ale or munich malt for the most would be about 200g of any typical crystal malt.
I think it doesn't hurt at all to have around 5% of dextrose in these type of extract based brews, the brew booster pack will have that.

If anything that can wouldn't need watering down :ph34r:

Merely playing, performing and portraying
Jayse

Jayse's reply is a good one, if you wanna have a go at partial mashes and trust me, they're easy to do get amongst it...

However, if you don't want to do the mash, then why not put 200g of Caramunich, Carahell or Pale Crystal malt in a grain bag and steep it in 6L of cold water on the stove, bringing it up to 70C. Move the bag regularly to allow the giant tea bag to infuse in the water. Remove and let it drip out through a colander (don't wring the guts out of the bag).
Toss in 1kg of dry malt extract (pale, amber or dark, you choose) and boil for 20 mins with a decent addition of hops (20g of Cascade or Hallertau would be a reasonable starting point) at the start of the boil. Gently stir in the kit at flameout and then cool in an ice bath down to below 30C.
Once cooled, splash pour into a fermenter (you can strain it through a mesh colander if you wanna keep the hop residue out of the fermenter) and top up with cold water to 1.045 or 23L, whichever comes first. Pitch yeast and seal.
If you want to get real keen on this one, buy a smack pack of Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast if you used pale malt, or Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast if you used amber or dark dry malt extract and use that instead of the kit yeast supplied. If you do use the more exotic brand of yeast (and trust me it will totally spruce up the brew!) you can toss the sachet of kit yeast into the boil and the smack pack yeast will eat on the boiled yeast as nutrients...

Cheers,
TL

Trough Lolly said:
, then why not put 200g of Caramunich, Carahell or Pale Crystal malt in a grain bag and steep it in 6L of cold water on the stove, bringing it up to 70C. Move the bag regularly to allow the giant tea bag to infuse in the water.
[post="59333"][/post]​
It may or may not be obvious, but the grain should be cracked before steeping.

Mate,

Just use a Masterbrew pack with it and follow the masterbrew instructions.

Yes, of course you can partial mash or try to work out some additional ingredients for yourself, but (and I assume here) at your stage of brewing, perhaps an advanced kit something like a Masterbrew pack would be best.

There is time to learn and ask questions but I sense that we need to fire your imagination so that you can be more enthused with your hobby.

Some suggestions that from experience go well with this kit.

First. Rehydrate the yeast look at our website on how to go about that
http://www.brewgoliath.com.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165

Second, view some of the Masterbrew options available like.

Cooee Australian Pale Ale
Heine Can Dutch lager,
Tuckerbox Draught (first Pick)

Others will have some ideas you can use, by all means listen to them but don't get too carried away at this stage.

Regards
Dave

Cheers for hitting me back guys.

I should of been more clear in my original post but I want to start using a small amount of grain and hops as a stepping stone to using more grain and eventually all grain. I am a firm believer in learning "on the job".

I will go to the HBS Thursday or Friday and pick up the stuff but I need to know what to get and how much of it. Please be gentle with me as I have trouble understanding some of the brewing lingo sometimes so please speak in plain English or I will have to keep checking the lingo busting accronym thing I downloaded :lol:

So whaddya reckon, how much grain and what type also which yeast and hops?

Just steep 400 grams crystal malt and 100 grams of chocolate malt at about 65C for 15 mins make sure tkeep to temp and add to the malt concetrate you will not need to crush the grain .

For a nice brown ale Pumpy

Oddball and everyone else, please disregard Pumpy's post. It is chock a block full of misinformation.

If you want to experiment with some grain, use 250 gms of crystal for your first go.

Buy it crushed from the HBS.

Steep it in some warm water, about one litre, anywhere between 30-60 deg C. This grain is already converted by the maltster, and does not need steeping at exactly 65 deg. Many other grains MUST be steeped at close to 65, crystal does not need this special temperature. After about 30 minutes, strain the resulting solution through a colander, chuck out the grains, simmer the solution for 15 minutes with one of the 12g hop bags, Hallertau would be nice, cool and add to the fermneter.

Also add your favourite beer kit and kilo of brew additive from the brewshop, the mix of 500 gms DME, 250 gms dextrose and 250 gms maltodextrin is a good starting point.

Back