what to do with a bunch of roasted grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfroes

Reaction score
recently i have inherited a full 25kg bag of joe white's roasted malt(black malt) and another one of roasted barley. http://www.cargillfoods.com/lat/en/products/malt/products/our-brands/joe-white-maltings/index.jsp

usually i brew 50l batches, but that is just a lot of malt. i usually use 500g-1kg per recipe.
do anyone have any idea what to do with so much dark malt?
and would anyone know the difference between the 2 ? i tried tasting it, but they are just so bitter i cant see the difference. one just seems dryer(roasted a bit higher temp maybe?) than the other and that's it for me.

Heavily Roasted Malts supposedly last for ever and a day because anything that can go bad sugar/flavour has been burnt to a crisp. I would honestly sell them in 1kg bags for people on the forum, enough to cover your cost and a dollar or two for your time. Even if you use 500gm a brew that is 100 stouts & porters or (5000 litres = 50 liter brews x 100 brew) that you will need to drink.

Or you could try making a true traditional 18th century stout using a 100% black malt like before Pale Malt came into existence.

^I think you'll find pale malt well and truly existed in the 18th century.

25kg of roasted barley and black malt! Terrible problem to have!
Maybe find your local brew club and see if anyone is up for a grain swap, where are you located?
Sorry I can't comment on flavour differences as I've never tried JW anything. Technically, they are both roasted but one is malted first.

Last edited:
Roasted barley is unmalted barley that has been roasted. Everyone's palate is different, but to me RB is quite coffee like and larger amounts in a stout can work well. By large I mean 250g to max 500 in a 20 L batch. By contrast, black is made from roasted malted barley and is much more burned/bitter/acrid/charcoal. Still delicious (and necessary for me) in a stout but looking at close to half my RB minimum.

Small amounts of either can be used in various other styles - I add weeny amounts of roast to alts for colour and slight dry character, dark milds, browns, reds, etc. Even pale lagers can cope with a wisp of black.

25kg of each is a shit ton, so dividing and selling at a good price is probably your best avenue. Or start brewing shitloads of stout. And porter. And stout.

I'm short of both, happy to take some off your hands! I believe foragers drop has/is becoming the appropriate spot for exchanges such as this. Happy to take 5kg of each at reasonable price ... and a pint of what eva Jessie aims to poison you with.

If you are planning on keeping some of it for long term storage, split it into 500g freezer bags, then vacuum pack each of those. Keep in a dark place, as cool as you can manage.

sorry guys, had some issues with my internet. NBN right?
I am located in NW melbourne in Keilor East.
MJ, how soon would you need it ? i'm on the mill bulk buy, so maybe we could meet? i'd be glad to give/sell/exchange with you with something that you have heaps of(i lost the grain bulk buy). whatever you prefer.
good4whatAlesU, are you close? could do something for you as well if you're close.
cheers guys.

Latest posts

Back