What To Do With A Belgian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanukibrewer

Reaction score
Gday all Belgian strong ale experts.
I have just come back from work up north after 2 weeks and have a 9-10% Belgian dark strong ale in the fementer,does any one have experience on how to bottle these beasts?Should I mix up a starter and throw into the fermenter and then bottle in champagne bottles,or should I just use some of those carbination drops.haven't bottled beer for years and that was back in the bad old kit days when it was a hit and miss affair.
Any advise would be great.

I've done quite a few big beers like this and just bottle like usual. I've never added extra yeast and never had a problem. I do bulk prime so I have more control over the carbonation level. I'm on my phone and it's a pain to type much about it, but you should be able to find plenty with a search. Good luck!

Make fully sure it's finished though. Up round 10% a lot of Belgian yeasts slow right down unless you pitched perfectly and added any extra sugar incrementally.

I've had a 1.100 BDS stall after tipping a bucketload of candi sugar in.

Thanks Nick,fairly sure it has stopped,been sitting at 22c for the last 2 weeks.
tempted to keg it but I know it needs bottle conditioning and aging to be at its best,which will not happen if it gets kegged :)

rack it,
adn give it another 2 weeks in fermenter, allow it to come up to 26-28,
then ottle with a pitch of same or similar yearst, ( you coudl make a strater from some of the slurry in rthe primary

Back