What To Do Next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet

Reaction score
Hi people.

I have recently acquired a second firmenter. Just curious as to how I should start brewing my beer now on. I have just attempted a bulk prime, seemed to go well.

I'm thinking more about racking to secondary. However I don't have a spare fridge or room in my fridge for CC'ing so thats not an option.

Can any one give me some advice on what I can do, in regards to racking to secondary? When should I do it? how should I do it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Another strategy is to get a bottling bucket (third fermenter) then brew one, rack it to secondary after 7-10 days. Then when it is in secondary for a week, put another in primary. Bottle the one in secondary (bulk prime in bottling bucket), rack the finished primary to secondary, wait a week and put another fresh brew on. That way, you always have at least one beer conditioning and another in primary 50% of the time.

You don't need to CC in secondary, it can be useful for leaving the beer for a couple days or a week just to clear up and mellow out a bit. If you have reasonably cool ambient temps, then even better depending on the brew.

Or if you try it and decide it's not worth it, then just use the second one as your bottling bucket.

Personally I have three fermenters so I can have two brews on the go at any one time (in primary or secondary) and one fermenter spare for bottling time.

Gota agree with PoMo...

But i secondary/dry hop for 2 weeks - 7-10 days at normal temp then in the fridge for 3-4 days.
The fridge really helps to clean up the beer and aid clarity with the yeast dropping.
The bottling bucket is a good idea - if u dry hop - then run thru a GMK In-Line Filter into the bottling bucket to get rid of the hop pellets.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back