What To Do In Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1153

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I will be in Melbourne on the weekend (6/7/8 July) for a football over-saturation.
With a mate we will be watching footy games Friday night, Saturday arvo and Sunday arvo.

Now as luck would have it (or lack of), there is no footy in Melbourne on Saturday night. Yes I know this in itself is a god-awful thing, but it is not going to change in the next few days, so hence my posting.

What do you Melbournites do on a Saturday night when there is no footy to see?

In particular and relating to this forum, is there anywhere to visit on a saturday night that is:

1. micro-brewery
2. boutique brewery
3. pub~ish but serves the best in beers.

I am from Freo originally so I am thinking along the lines of a Matilda Bay style pub or a Little Creatures style brewery/pub. Does this sort of thing exist in Melbourne or are you all just mega-swilling VB aficionados?

So any suggestions? Please fire away with all and sundry. Oh, also, no 'brokeback mountain' venues or potential fatal shooting locations either.

The only final thing is that any suggestions should be within walking/tram or train distance of the CBD.

Thanks

Troy

Got to Mountain Goat and the Royston on Friday night. Both great spots and right next to each other.

check out Thirsty spread in the Wiki on the micro's around melbourne

Rook

Theres the James Squire Brewhouse. theres plenty of bars with good beer. theres a new one in Fed Square but I cant think of the name of it atm.

EDIT - Tansport hotel. if you can work your way through their beer menu your a champian. ok so your not going to able to do that in one night (theres over 100 differant bottled and tap beers)

The Lambs Go Bar in Greaves St Fitzroy has a good selection and tends to focus on more interesting beers. Jump on a number 86 tram in Bourke Street, get off at the first Safeway you see and head North two side streets. (or just stay in the city and pay the CBD premium at Transport, etc.).

Dont miss "Cookie" bar inner city, bloody good range of beers, in delightful art deco building.

Thanks guys, some good ones coming in.
I didn't realise the wiki was there.

Of course we will be drinking after the Friday night football match (when Essendon have thumped Geelong) as well, so may try out many establishments.

From my imited experience I would say avoid transport. They have a lot of beer and zero atmosphere. It is just a big concrete cave. I would also avoid Bells. It is just a regular suburban pub with what was very ordinary micro brewed beer when I was there. I have only visited Bells once though so you mileage may vary.

Thanks guys, some good ones coming in.
I didn't realise the wiki was there.

Of course we will be drinking after the Friday night football match (when Essendon have thumped Geelong) as well, so may try out many establishments.

Bombers are going to destroy those pesky cats! :beerbang:

i hope.

From my limited experience I would say avoid transport. They have a lot of overpriced beer and zero atmosphere.
i think you missed a word so i added it in for you

I on the other hand really like Transport.... but not at night time when its packed. In the afternoon on a non-footy day, A pleasant outside seat overlooking the Yarra or a seat in the glass room on the side; people watching the passing crowds...

As for overpriced... yeah it is, but hell, all the good beer bars/pubs are overpriced.

I also echo the Lambsgo in Fitzroy, the Goat brewery, the Royston and most especially Cookie (but for Cookie the same warnings apply as for Transport)

I on the other hand really like Transport.... but not at night time when its packed. In the afternoon on a non-footy day, A pleasant outside seat overlooking the Yarra or a seat in the glass room on the side; people watching the passing crowds...

Well got back safely from the trip.
Not much sleep and plenty of beer drinking. (Had to console myself a lot over the bombers loss :( )

We checked the Transport after the Friday night match but it was way way too crowded and I am not partial to lining up anywhere just to get a beer!!!

On Sunday lunchtime before we went to the Carlton/Melbourne match at the MCG we went finally got into Transport for a few.

I must say it was rather nice. Impressive fonts with huge SS tubes running all over the place. Plus Redback on tap :)

We sat out the back overlooking the Yarra, drinking beer, watching the families roll past either on their way to the footy or to the Circus Oz that was on nearby.

Geez I love Melbourne.

Took plenty of photos.

Back