What To Do For An Anzac Brew?!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver_streak67

Reaction score
Hi,
We constantly have a fermenter on the go in our bathroom of the good old trustworthy Coopers tins but I was inspired to spend a bit of my Anzac Day off making a "special" brew, so paid a visit to our local Homebrew store. I've come home with a 500g bag of crystal grain, a sachet of US05 yeast and instructions to boil 1/2 the bag of grain for an hour then strain and use the liquid as well as my trusty Coopers Draught tin. When I had a quick check online to see how much water I needed to boil the grain with nearly all the sites said do not boil because it will release the tannins and make it bitter. Now I'm confused! Has anyone got any recipes/advice for me.... I have 1xtin coopers draught, 500g crystal grain, sachet of US05 yeast and and light dry malt extract to work with. (I forgot to buy hops... blast!)
Cheers....... also, it's MRS Silver_streak67 here, I make it and he just drinks it!!!!!
from SWMBO

Hey mate (and missus!),

Steeping the grain is probably a better approach - instead of using boiling water for grain, just pretend you're making a giant cup of tea from the grain. No doubt some brewers here will suggest a quantity of water, temperature and time, so watch this space.

I hope your brew gets the approval from your fella, grain steeping or grain addition to a wort tin ("doing a partial") - thats what leads us down the dark path to all-grain.

ok first off 500g of crystal is ALOT! in a kit or extract brew

second off damn you got a good SWMBO to make it for you :p

Ok I would use prob 200g MAX! of the crystal. Is it crushed or whole?

you steep the crystal in say 1lt of water at 60-70 deg for 30mins strain this into a pot and boil for 10 mins you might want to add more water to the pot or run it over the grains.

It would be best to add hops but if you can get a tea bag of hops to your liking and dry hop them in the fermenter when the brew is 3/4 done or more that will help a little

I liked to put dextrose in my beers so 80% malt (including the kit) and 20% dex so if you got 1kg malt and the kit I would put in 400g dex especially with the crystal as it will add colour and flavour not fermentables

sera some people look at partials differently. I look at this as steeping.

A partial to me is using base malt as a partial of your fermentable, which is a waste of time as you have to mash them for a hour at a steady temp and if your doing this you might as well do a full batch.

My temps and volumes are off my head but for steeping they wont get you far off what you need, As you are just extracting colour and flavour. I would heat the water to 70c then take the pot off the stove put the grain in mix it in and wrap the pot in a towel or tea towel to insulate it. Leave for 30 mins. Or you could leave on the stove and keep checking the temp and heating it back up if it feel below 60 but I would not both with that.

well said kelby

I guess I just categorize partials as anyone adding extra stuff to supplement a can of brew goo, but I can see where a difference between a steeping and partial is as you say.

Hi,
so paid a visit to our local Homebrew store. I've come home with a 500g bag of crystal grain, a sachet of US05 yeast and instructions to boil 1/2 the bag of grain for an hour then strain and use the liquid as well as my trusty Coopers Draught tin. from SWMBO

This is why so many LHHS shops are closing as discussed in a recent thread, WTF is someone who should know what there doing give that sort of advice.....
anyway, ANZAC brew, add 200 gm oats to your steeping grains, some brown sugar and golden syrup to your mix...ANZAC cookie draught... :)

P.S what is the best way to impart some chocolate flavour?
would priming some bottles with chico lollies work or any other ideas come to mind?
Thanks all for replying to the post also :icon_chickcheers:

steeped chocolate grain then boil liquid at start before ferment +/or

cacao nibs in secondary after ferment +/or

cocoa in boil at start before ferment +/or

high cocoa chololate block in secondary after ferment +/or

choc essence at bottling.

search for chocolate on this forums google search bar above right,

I wouldn't prime with chicos because the carbonation of your bottles would be unpredictable

My ANZAC brew was a mini mash in line with the ANZAC Cookie theme, hope it works out.

Coopers Stout
1.5 kg Maris
.5 kg Quick Oats
100g Brown Sugar
A little bit of Magnum Hops(I guess that's suitable.... guns??)
100g Old Gold Choc
2 Pods(Shot Blacks) of Nespresso
Saf 04

Can't wait to keg it...smelt pretty fine.

Back