What To Brew Real Quick?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
I wanted to have a hand pumped or kegged beer ready by the 14th of August, and I will be brewing on Thursday.

What beers will be best served within three weeks and through a hand pump?

No time for ageing.

Could always bang out a weizen like this one. Best served fresh and no conditioning time required. Not really the weather for a weizen, but its quick and easy...

MILD!!, Quick turn around, and works great on an engine daz.

Or a bitter

Australian Traditional Ale
2.5 (75.5%)
English Chocolate Malt
.19 (5.7%)
Weyermann Carafa III
.12 (3.6%)
Weyermann CaraMunich III
.25 (7.6%)
Biscuit Malt (Mout Roost 50)
.25 (7.6%)

Whitbread. Mash 65c ( it'll finish high with all the xtal,choc and bikkie malt anyway ).

1.35-40
20 IBU ( bittering only )

Try running Wyeast Irish 1084 at 23 - yes 23 - and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I reckon you'll have it in the cask and cleared out ready to drink in 2 weeks no problems.

I know you like headbangers but if you're catering for 4.8% people then any bitter based on say 5k of Maris Otter or Golden Promise, Crystals, Pom hops bittered to 1025 and sure, whack 500 of sugaz in the boil if you like. That Irish yeast goes mad for a few days then one morning you go into the brewery and the top is flat as a millpond and already clearing.

Rack with a good dose of Isinglass and you'll make the deadline no probs.

:icon_cheers:

I'd say a weizen. Ferment high and bottle after 5 days adjusting priming sugar based on your SG reading.

Problem is, guys, Ive never made a wheat beer that was actually good.

I probably should suck it up and try again.

So.. an english bitter or Irish Red dont partikkarly need the curing time in the bottle?
I kinda liked the idea of a Mac's Sassy Red style on a beer engine.
Late hopped amber ale.

"You could get one rolling tonite."

They are great, I will give you that, but I'd have to hit the shops, and I all ready have my greedy ants for that which I would like to brew.

I'm doing a "quick" beer.

4.5kg weyermann's premium pilsner malt

Citra pellets

7.5g at 60m
60g at 15m
7.5 dry hop

Strike temp 70 degrees, mash temp 65 (so I have a greater proportion of fermentables)

Nottingham yeast - high attenuating and hungry, quick. My last beer I used it the first time and it gets to "drinkable" far quicker than safale or safbrew. Using nottingham also cut about 4 days off fermentation time.

:icon_offtopic: but I find that Notto, if used too hot in a 'fake' lager can come out a bit lemony in flavour. S-189 although a lager yeast can give surprisingly good results at ale temperatures for a quick lager.

:icon_offtopic: but I find that Notto, if used too hot in a 'fake' lager can come out a bit lemony in flavour. S-189 although a lager yeast can give surprisingly good results at ale temperatures for a quick lager.

Our (brick) house, sits on a hill facing east, so we get a pretty stiff breeze from Moreton Bay come over. Ambient temp of house is 16-18 degrees and if I place it under the house, even cooler.

Agree with you totally. I think I found the "sweet" spot for temp. I probably will refrain from using it in summer. But in summer I generally brew the next winter's darker beers, so "fruit" flavours or yeast flavours aren't an issue so much.

either way, I found it much better than s05

1762 @ 21C ... all over the floor on day one, all over on day four. Not a hint of fusels and 6.5% alc.

1762 @ 21C ... all over the floor on day one, all over on day four. Not a hint of fusels and 6.5% alc.

You sold me. It looks like a fantastic yeast.

I got almost 7% with the notts and it wasn't really ethanoley in taste, but did have a helluva kick. I only did it as a 9L batch (my experimental series) and will be immediately upgraded to full sized batch. Anyone I served it to loved it, but it did have an immediate effect alcohol wise.

Yep used this recently and it got from 1.104 to 1.020 in 4 days and was done at 1.018 in 6 days. It does generate some heat though. I pitched at 17 degrees, in two days it was at 24 degrees while it was in my laundry at 16 degrees. Never seen anything like it. Some fusals came through at those temps though.

Back