What To Brew In The Warmer Months?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been absent for a while and it's time to get some more brews down, ready for the cooler weather ahead.

The last brew i put down finished in about 6 days. It was a Tooheys draught 2 can using the standard yeast and nothing else.
The taste was OKish but not great. Drinkable but i have done a lot better.

So my problem is that i live in northern NSW where the humidity is always really high and even over night, the temps stay around 20c.
I think the best i can manage is to put my fermenter in the dungeon, in the dark where it would suffer temperature differences between aprox 15 - 25c.

What are my best options with temps like this? Pure draughts or pale ales?

Any help would be great thanks guys :)

get yourself a fridge and temp controller.

if despserate the dungeon would work for some nice ales, if ambient swings from 15-25 you should find the FV will sit
somewhere between 18-22 which will work,

but you need to get more accurate control.

Start brewing Belgian ales a lot of their yeasts will work in the ranges you prescribed.

Saison using Wyeast 3724. It loves the heat from memory. But my memory is a little dodgy. So you may want to double check.

Saison using Wyeast 3724. It loves the heat from memory. But my memory is a little dodgy. So you may want to double check.

+1

Make a saison with 3724, 30 degrees will give you a great tasting, spicy belgian beer.

Seeing you're a kit brewer, I'd try experimenting with the canadian blonde and a saison yeast.
Now this is just a simple basic recipe so anyone else feel free to add subtract ingredients.

Coopers Canadian Blonde
1kg LDME
10-20g Goldings (a nice mellow hop) or saaz
A Wyeast or WLP Saison yeast (or you could try T-58, but I'm not sure of the temp for that one).

FWIW, I've never made a decent beer from the tooheys kits. (actually the dark one turned out okay)

look up toucan stout recipes for winter.

a popular one is i think its 1 coopers stout, 1 coopers dark ale, 1kg dex, 20g fuggles around 10min. aged for a few months. I plan on doing one if these.

The Belgian and Saisons are good at higher temps. But I personally cant drink too much of them.

If you dont want to go the fridge way, have a look at water baths with a towel and fan, or the bag with ice methods. They will help you get back into the correct temp range. It will never be as consistent as the fermenting fridge, but should get you through till the end of summer

QldKev

Belgians & Wheatbeers yeah! :super:

Ok so a Belgian wheatbeer it is then lol.
What commercially made beer can i buy that would resemble what i am aiming for?

I just want to know what i will be drinking before putting it down.

Re: Tooheys kits.
It was the first time i used a Tooheys kit. Being hot weather, i didn't want to stuff up a decent brew so it was a bit of a tester.

Thanks everyone, i'll report back with the end result.

Witbier- Hoegaarden is widely available. Belgians in general Leffe, Duvel are easier drinking styles and can be found at Dans etc. Saisons you will probably need to find an independent bottlo- Dupont, Bridge Road even Temple are great/good examples. Prepare to be a bit lighter in your hip pocket.

^^ A fantastic Belgian wheatbeer is "Blanche de Namur", it's one of my favourites. It won world's best wheatbeer back in 2009. They're available in my area, but may be hard to track down depending on the variety in your local liquor stores etc.

Good hot weather tolerant dry yeast:

Fermentis T-58 (use for Belgian Style) 15-24 degrees tolerance* (I've used it as high as 26 but you will get a lot of fusel alcohol and 'pepper' character in your beer.

Fermentis WB-06 (use for witbier/wheat beer) 15-24 degrees tolerance*

In liquid yeast you have heaps of options - check out the Wyeast website.

If using kits, I suggest supplementing the kit yeast with one of the above. With these styles the yeast imparts the flavour in a big way.

Good luck with it!

Hopper.

*Temps according to specs found on tech sheets on Fermentis website.

If using kits, I suggest supplementing the kit yeast with one of the above. With these styles the yeast imparts the flavour in a big way.

I'm aware of this. That is why i am not partial to largers. I'm a little worried that the above mentioned styles might end up like a Becks or Grolshe which are beers i'm not fond of. I'm more of an ale kinda guy.
I'm currently eyeing off a $50 fridge locally on ebay, see how that ends up.

Latest posts

Back