What Temperature Do You Drink Your Beer At

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifteenbeerslater

Reaction score
Just been playing around with a probe digital thermometer and i was suprised to find that most of the beer i was drinking was 6 to 9 degrees. I really thought it was a lot colder, it felt colder. What temperature are you guys drinking at ? YES i'am a KEG man!
Cheers 15BL :beer:

My fridge is set to about 4C, so probably a couple of degrees higher once poured.

:beer:

Mine is on the warmest setting possible, otherwise the kegs freeze.

Is it 12.00 yet? Close enough, better go check :chug:

Cheers.

My keg fridge is set to 4c but I do not trust any of my thermometers especially the one attached to the fridge. Therefore, in order to ensure the propoer drinking temperature, I keep tasting it to see at what stage it is at. I must say to date I found no problems with the temperature. Than again I think I would drink my beer even if it was poured through an Afgan Cameldriver's underwear.

Cheers,
PeterS.... :chug:

My English Bitter comes out of the kegs @ about 6C but optimum flavour is at 12C
However I had to give up checking as the thermometer kept poking me in the eye ;)

Pumpy

In the name of science, and beer, I conducted an experiment to check the exact temperature of my beer.
It went like this, I grabbed a glass thermometer and proceeded to pull a lager from tap. I then did a taste test of the beer to make sure the beer was good, and soon after finishing the pint I remembered that I has forgotten all about the experiment.
Pulled a second pint, this time thermometer goes straight in. She reads 2 DegC.

I think thats cold enough. Any colder and you'll have ice beer.

VL. :beer:

I put enough bottles into my freezer for a session and 2 hours later they're perfect for drinking.Probably around 3 or 4 degrees. :beer:

I keep my bottles in the garage most of the the year. The exception to that is the peak of summer and peak of winter :) Dependant on the season it varies from around 2-18 in there. Most of the time its between 6-12 though which is fine for me. If i feel it's a bit too warm in there i just pop them in the fridge and take them out half an hour before i drink them.

my keg fridge runns at 4 to 6 deg

I like ales about 8 to 10 deg but will drink em warm if there is nothing else on hand.

My garage gets to an average temp of 8 deg (firmenting worts will sit at this during winter on the garage floor so ilove to have some strong dark ales in bottles in there.

It freaks people out when they see you go and grab a bottle off the shelf, pour it in a glass and enjoy it :)

i like to let my beers out of hte keg fridge warm up a bit once i pour them too.

I keep milk in there too so it have to have it cool.

cheers

When I was young, and growing up out west, we killed steers during winter and let them hang over night outside covered in a sheet.

They then when to the butchers coolroom in the morning. The coolroom was warmer than the outside air, but letting them hang over night outside during winter let the blood drain out and they would be nice and cold to put in the coolroom

Bring on winter and CC'ing....lucky my brew room keeps its cool during summer and winter... :chug:

I could kill a beer right now. :rolleyes: Matter of fact i will go out side and pour one now.For your info the fridge would average about 1-3 degrees so thats my pour temp.Nice and cold for the tropics up here.Just the way i like it.

Cheers
Big D

hehe

Ahhhh a country upbringing stu.

I used to get woken up at 3 am before i went to school to unload a semi trailer load of hey.

Just me nad the old man.

the teachers used to ask me why my arms were bleeding

I used to ride 5 KM's from the bus stop on my pusshie and help with slaughtering sheep. My mum still laughs how i used to tell the fella cutting their throats......... " no blood on the school uniform....... mum will kill me" :)

and then i would sit on the sheep on the back of a tray back landcruiser, with their heads handing over the tray as we headed off back to the cool room the hang them.

Sorry for the hijack but this is a story to be told :)

I was sitting on 4 sheep one day, their throats cut and some sydney type bulls onto the road behind us in his BMW with his wife and 2 kids in toe.

They all looked at me, sitting on these sheep, trying to stop them falling off on the rough road, and suddenl realised that the sheep were dead!

Old mate locked her up and didnt start rolling again till we were a long way away :)

poor bugger, i think i scared him whem i smilled and waved :)

ahhhhhh a country up bringing

best lamb you ever tasted too.

cheers

I would have to say that I have my beer pouring at about 6degrees. which is quite nice, I found if I turn the fridge much lower I have to defrost my kegs. And I hate frozen beer, not nearly as good as a frozen goon bag, slushy style. :party:

Cheers

HK :chug:

Fridge temp "bounces" between ~2-6C depending on how much I open the door and at what part of the cycle you catch it.
The beer is certainly cold enough, measured at ~6C after being outside for 5 minutes or so.
Seems to take AGES for 19litres of beer to come down to that temp though, good day or more.

I hope most of us aren't afraid to drink a beer slightly warmer than Australian convention may dictate but I've had a minor epiphany which on a quiet non-brewing Sunday afternoon I feel compelled to share.
I was racking a Cooper's Pale Ale - fairly standard... CPA kit, 500g DME, 333g Cooper's Brew Enhancer I, brewed with a recultured Cooper's yeast. There was a goodly amount of good clear ale left in the fermenter after racking, so... one must perform quality control so I took a (large) sip.
Loverly.
Thought... maybe that month old CPA (similar recipe) that tasted quite ordinary cold the other day may just cut the mustard at "cellar temp" (It's 13C here today... and that's quite mild relatively speaking).
Fantastic (relatively speaking).
Give some of your beers a whirl just a bit warmer than you dare. You may be pleasantly surprised.
:)

I was bottling an APA yesterday. Poured myself a glass straight from the fermenter - as you do. Delicious.
Cheers
steve

Back