What Sort Of Keg Have I Got Here?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oatlands Brewer

Reaction score
Got the wife to pick up a keg i had rung about when she was in town shopping today..

Its not quite what i had in mind but looks like it will work

Its a "firestone" keg with a steel handle piece around the top, a black rubber cap on the base and is 210 x 740mm

The ball lock post look like a normal corny type but the lid dosnt have the poppet valve, thats off to one side and is a little lever thing.

Any good????

Cheers
Adam

keg1.JPG

keg2.JPG

Looks good to me. Might be a 23ltr keg. Even better if you only paid "normal" price for it.

Fill it with beer and connect to your keg setup. !!

Pok

Its a "firestone" keg with a steel handle piece around the top, a black rubber cap on the base and is 210 x 740mm

The ball lock post look like a normal corny type but the lid dosnt have the poppet valve, thats off to one side and is a little lever thing.

Any good????

NO. Don't go near it, It's a piece of shit.

My Dad owns a metal yard, send it to me, and i'll make it disappear for you. :D

Actually, i used to have one of those. And it was 23lt's like i suspect your's is. Was great for Soda's on tap over the summer.
Wish i still had it, should never have gotten rid of it. Live and learn i guess.

got a couple of them good kegs.

parts arent interchangeable is the main downside. but if it and all its parts are in good nick it's a steal

EDIT: mind you, having a *lot* of kegs when a few of them differ is a pain in the arse. I've got ten kegs myself, 7 of them are standard cornies, 2 of them vaguely compatible cornies, and there's one oddball
it's infuriating

I'm just rebuilding a couple of those at the moment. I think they are called Mytton kegs. You can get a complete replacement seal kit here.

There are a lot of different sizes, it might be 23L, but then again it might be 18, or 20.

parts arent interchangeable is the main downside. but if it and all its parts are in good nick it's a steal

EDIT: mind you, having a *lot* of kegs when a few of them differ is a pain in the arse. I've got ten kegs myself, 7 of them are standard cornies, 2 of them vaguely compatible cornies, and there's one oddball
it's infuriating

Bought 3 kegs recently, all cornies. They arrive so we pull it all apart to give it a good clean. Then fill one keg up with some beer and everything fits. Then the shit part, the next keg was fine but come the last post and it doesn't fit. Now i have to find the right one for all the kegs. Pain in the arse.

Got 2 of them bloody bomb proof!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the are heavier than my other kegs thicker walls and top and bottoms. :icon_chickcheers:

They are among the best kegs ever made, Firestone became Myton-Rheem when Rheem got out of stainless fabrication a few of the engineers left and formed their own company called Stainless Tanks and Pressure Vessels down in Ferntree Gully.
They still make the same keg, tho they cost an arm and a leg compared to imported ones ($461-) still they are the nuts.
Parts are widely available and it should last you a life time if you look after it, if you want to sell it there is a ready market.
Mark
View attachment 54602

I have 2 of these @ 20l, but as they are slightly larger in diameter it makes it a little tight in the freezer, would consider swapping for some standard cornies if anyone is interested. Pm me if yer interested.

Thanks guys..I might ring the place back and see they have any more, I paid $70 for this one.

As this is my first keg and havent assembled all my kegging gear yet, do I need to buy different connects or are the standard black and white ones' the go.

I Bought a couple of Mytton Rodd kegs many years ago. They are 46 litre and they are great kegs.
I bought seals and new poppets and posts last year from My Beer Shop (link above) and as MHB said the parts are readily available.
I wouldn't swap them for Corny's as they are a lot better made imho.

Fill it with beer and enjoy!!

Cheers

I have two of these kegs and can't stop the beer post from leaking once the disconnect is hooked up. Have replaced all the seals and it leaks.

Clevo said:
I have two of these kegs and can't stop the beer post from leaking once the disconnect is hooked up. Have replaced all the seals and it leaks.

did you put it together in the right order?

Back