What Size Steel For Brew Rig?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm trying to figure out what size steel (not stainless, just plain old steel) I should be using for my new brew rig.

The rig will consist of a 70L HLT, 100L MLT, 20L HEX and a 70L BK.

Batch sizes will max out at 50L so it won't really have a massive amount of weight on it.

I initially was going to use 50x50x2.5mm box tube - but perhaps this is a little bit overboard?

Any suggestions?

Maybe 40x40x1.8mm would work?

Frame design is similar to this:

http://www.cigarweekly.com/images/frame.JPG

Cheers
Hunt

I chucked some numbers in an FEA package (bored during lunch at work).....

Fullscreen_capture_6092012_10548_PM.jpg

I've loaded up an 1800mm long 40x40x1.6 SHS beam with 100kg at where each of the arrows are shown (total 300kg).

The limit on this beam is 350MPa and the analysis shows a peak of 160MPa. Bear in mind, you'll actually have two beams (not one as I've analysed) so the stress in the beam will half again. And I've not included any mid supports which will reduce the stresses in the beam even further.

I'd say you'd be pretty safe with this section size.

SUrely you could get away with 25mm square tube? Much more portable perhaps?? :unsure:

You can go smaller but you will have to add more bracing and uprights. I would go 25mm thick wall for structural parts and thin wall for anything else like mountings, brackets and bracing.
Smaller is easier to work with.

I used 40x40x3 mm galvanised angle iron to build a burner stand. I wanted to go strong, as I knew it would have to support 50+ kilos, with a strong heat source nearby.

Now it's all welded together, I'm pretty sure I could park a car on top of it and it wouldn't buckle.

It all depends on design. 25 x 25 x 1.6 will be more than enough, providing you have a few up-rights in your frame. I built all the benches in my shed using this and it is about as solid as the solid as the rock of gibraltar :icon_cheers:

over 3m i have 4 uprights. benches are 700 deep. 3000 long and 1000 high.

EDIT: Just to recall, 4 yrs ago. 20m cost me a tad over $50.00AUD

25mm thick wall for structural parts
Wall thickness of member depth?

I made a frame quite similar with a mix of 25mm-30mm parts. After welding it all together I could stand and jump on it no probs. Even my Uncle who is over 100kg could stand on it no worries.

Considering that your load is only the max L you have in the system at one point (assuming HLT for sparge and MT during mash), not every vessle filled full. So hot chilli's design is super duper conservative and you could push it much easier.

Here is a link to what I did, its all to scale, and most of the beam members are only 25x25x1mm
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=64156&hl=

I used 25mm square tube for my stand, with a mixture of 2mm thick for the main supports and 1.6mm thick for the rest.

It's plenty strong enough but the the thin stuff was a bugger to weld.

My brewery has 2 stands made from lightest 20mm I could find. I think it was $18 6m. HLT/kettle is 80L

I chucked some numbers in an FEA package (bored during lunch at work).....

View attachment 56957

I've loaded up an 1800mm long 40x40x1.6 SHS beam with 100kg at where each of the arrows are shown (total 300kg).

The limit on this beam is 350MPa and the analysis shows a peak of 160MPa. Bear in mind, you'll actually have two beams (not one as I've analysed) so the stress in the beam will half again. And I've not included any mid supports which will reduce the stresses in the beam even further.

I'd say you'd be pretty safe with this section size.

OK. But don't just stop there. C'mon, what's the max deflection? :p
But seriously, and just as a general point, it's not only what the section can support max strength wise, but what sort of deflection or sag will result. Just something to keep in mind if using the smaller sections (all else being equal). I wouldn't want my rig thing looking like a rope bridge.

Stubbie

I used 25mm by 25mm 3mm wall thickness worked fine

PFFFFFT! Drop your amps ya blouse! :D

Only friendly welder banter!
:icon_cheers:

:icon_cheers:

As a welder I make a pretty good librarian. Although - I really enjoyed the stand building project, still get a kick out of brewing on it.

I can get a 6M length of 40x40x1.8mm for $41. I'll need about 3 of those - so not too bad. Or there's galvanised of the same size for $62. Not sure if it's worth the extra $20 per length though.

I can get a 6M length of 40x40x1.8mm for $41. I'll need about 3 of those - so not too bad. Or there's galvanised of the same size for $62. Not sure if it's worth the extra $20 per length though.

Just watch the fuming when welding if you go the galvo.

or go mild steel and paint it with cold gal. Would probably be cheaper and safer.

Back