What Size Home Brewery Would You Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose the size kettle /home brewing system you would be purchase

• 50L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100L

• 200L

• 400L

• Total voters

BrissyBrew

MashMaster
Reaction score
NOTE the above sizes represent the capacity (full to the brim) of the Kettle.

I am interested in designing making and selling kettles and also in the future a complete 3 vessel system. So the magic question is what size are people willing to pay for? Obviously most people would not knock back a few hecta litre systems arriving for free but I am interested in what you would purchase.

An assumption of price would be your paying by the litre, eg twice as big twice the cost, which is probably not far off reality once you factor in shipping costs, big bulky shinny things are costly to ship.

I guess there is a relationship between all the vessels in the brewery that somehow dictates the size of everything based on which bit you buy first(?).

I brew 24 litre batches because that fits into a "20litre" jerry and gives me 23litres into my Bunnings fermenter. Everything just works sizewise.

Now, I am thinking of brewing smaller batches and am naturally thinking of sizes based on my fleet of small fermenters (15/17litre cubes). I am probably going to get a 20litre vessel.

I have occassionally thought about doing a *big* batch (my big boiler is 75litre), so I could get two fermenters' (or two cubes) worth.

If I was looking for a brand new brewery system, I would probably start looking at what I was going to use as my fermenters.

So, I don't think I've given you an answer, but I hope I've provided some insight into how I would go about determining size...

I chose 100L but i guess a 75L is all I would require to do double batches, as the 50l kettle I curently use is just that tiny bit too small.

Cheers Ross

I always brew double batches so I'd go for around the 75 litre mark as well, just about right for 50 litre batches without having to be on the constant lookout for boilovers. For me, any bigger than this and getting the fermentor into the fridge becomes a hassle and hard to get a good variety of beer on tap without storing for long periods.

I voted 100, but would probably go with a 75 if it was there.

That would allow a 2 corny keg batch and a 120min boil, but wouldn't be ridiculously over large for my standard 22.5litre 90min boil batch.

Thirsty

I would choose 75litre too if there was an option. Just seems perfect for single or double batch's.

I chose 100L but i guess a 75L is all I would require to do double batches, as the 50l kettle I curently use is just that tiny bit too small.

Cheers Ross
Don't bet on it Ross. I routinely do double batches with my 75 litre kettle (actually 1 and 1/2 kegs, cut and welded together) and I quite often find that even 25 litres of head space is not enough to quell those damned boilovers! I would definately choose a 100 litre boiler for those 50 litre batches - just to be sure.

Cheers,
PMyers

:chug:

I went with a 70 litre pot... 6 months later I'm kicking myself I didn't get the 100 litre one.

Don't bet on it Ross. I routinely do double batches with my 75 litre kettle (actually 1 and 1/2 kegs, cut and welded together) and I quite often find that even 25 litres of head space is not enough to quell those damned boilovers! I would definately choose a 100 litre boiler for those 50 litre batches - just to be sure.

Cheers,
PMyers

:chug:

I think the diameter of the pot has alot to do with this - kegs are pretty narrow.

Ii would love a 200 litre boiler and the setup to support it.

Lovely big batches. Would only need too brew once a month then.

johnno

I am purchasing a set of three 180 liter stainless tanks for my system. I would love to see some large kettles on the market for those of us that need a mash tun, lauter tun, and kettle for intermediate size batches.

Cheers,
Will

I voted for the 50ltr but i use a 75ltr for my boil pot and a 50 ltr for my hlt.

I like to make 40 to 50ltr and have not yet had a boil over on the 75ltr and hears hopping i never do.

I voted 100 - i have a 60 litre s/s pot ATM and its just that bit to small.
I reckon 100 would be about perfect :beer:

There is a bit of a theme running here. I voted 100l to solve my double batch boilovers in my 50l pot. Interesting to hear that the 70l dosen't cut it Asher. What volume do you start with when boiling ?
Cheers
Doug

I will be interested to see the prices. G&G in Melbourne have a 'turn-key' rig for $3,670 - it's a Herms though.

I'm really wondering what the target market would be though? Most of us here have been AG brewing for a while, so are prepared to step up to (or consider) the double-batch stage. I'd think that people buying a turn-key AG rig would be those partial brewers with lots of cash who don't want to mess around building their own. Would they be wanting a 100L system?

I'd love 100L volume, but I'd guess (operative word!) that most pre-built AG rig purchases would go smaller.

My $0.02 anyway :ph34r:

i want 150L batches so i voted for 200L kettle

I went 100L. Eventually I'd like 50L kegs in my setup so a 100L system would make this a breeze, even 75L.

Hmmm.
Bugwan certainly has a point.
I currently have a home made 50lt unit thats fine for upto 30lt. I voted for 100lt because I asked myself, If I forked out for a prefabbed unit (which wouldnt get past the minister of finance), I'd bloody want something bigger.
The fact that G&G has a turn key herms unit for ~$3.5k shows there may be an opening in the $500 to $2000 bracket. Maybe a 50-70 lt kettle three tier system with a mashmaster temp controlled electric HLT, supply your own 30-50 lt esky which you fit with the mashmaster manifold kit or false bottom, then a nasa fired kettle which feeds through a mashmaster chiller.
You could batch sparge, flysparge, infusion step and decoct, just youd have to work out strike water temps, and I cant see it even costing half the G&G unit, especially if you didnt go overboard with fussy s/s part.
My 5c

I selected 100L.
I do 50L batches and I use 90 litre kettle and a 90 litre HLT.
I have a 60 litre fermenter or I sometimes use two 30 litre fermenters and split the batch.
90 litre is ideal for 50 to 55 litre batches and I have never had a boil over
Cheers

Back