What size Co2 cylinder do most people get? 2.6Kg or larger type 6 or 6

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSwiller

Reaction score
Im up for a Co2 Cylinder for a kegerator and are a bit stuck as to which one to get, the 2.6Kg is a nice size to fit in or strapped to the back of the fridge but the 6kg type is only $50 more and would last a long time... just awkward to try and move around..

Do most people use a small one inside or fixed to the rear of the fridge?

A 6kg cylinder also costs a hell of a lot more to refill when you have a gas leak...

I have two of the 2.6kg bottles. Having two bottles is a life-saver when you run out in the middle of a long weekend or what not. The trick is to remember to get your spare refilled.... :unsure:

I went for the 6kg bottle to avoid having to refill it more regularly. I did have a gas leak with my first bottle and lost the lot pretty quickly. After working out the problem haven't had one since and don't have to refill very regularly.

I bought a 2.6KG because I was successfully freaked out by the disclaimer that a 6KG bottle apparently has enough CO2 in it to kill you and your family if it starts leaking at night. :huh:

keg king have 6kg cylinders (full) for $250 - and free shipping currently.

no affiliation etc etc.

they cost about $50 to refill at a LHBS.

I have a 6KG.

You know it really does suck paying $50 if you have a gas leak.

But on the bright side, only ran out of gas once in 3 yeas because of usage

I too would be concerned about having a 6kg inside the house. If it leaks you'll **** your air. Do you need air to breath?
If it's out in the garage or on the back veranda, different story.

Oh and don't think you'll never get a leak - chances are you will.

Volume of one tonne CO2 = 556.2m³

Six thousandth's of a tonne = 6kg = 0.006 tonnes

0.006 x 556.2 = 3.33 cubic meters, or about the size of a cupboard.

If your whole family and your kegerator lives in a cupboard, you have issues. If your kegerator in in a 5 x 5 x 3m room (75m3) a few centimeters of the floor will be unbreathable if the room is perfectly sealed and still.

So, if your 6kg bottle leaks completely while full, don't be passed out on the floor. Or you'll die.

Thanks Nick, That makes the whole safety about larger cylinders sale pitch sounds like just a marketing ploy?

Beerswiller said:
Thanks Nick, That makes the whole safety about larger cylinders sale pitch sounds like just a marketing ploy?
Not completely.

There's SFA CO2 in the air (<400 parts per million), but you need over 5% of the air to be CO2 for it to knock you out.

3 cubic meters in a small room gets close to being enough to knock you out, but that assumes the leak is "all at once" and the room is sealed.

So in a small room with no open windows, if you opened the tank and turned on a fan - you might wake up dead.

Does anyone know if the 6Kg KegKing Cylinder will actually fit on the back of the KK Kegerators? or are they way too big?

how tall are the kegerators?

my 6kg bottle stands next to a standard size 140l bar fridge, and is maybe 50-100mm shorter.

I've got a 4.5kg and couldn't be happier with it. Obviously doesnt have the longevity as the 6 or 6.8kg cylinders but a happy medium between those and a 2.6kg especially only running two kegs at a time.

Oh and it fits in my pint sized chesty with about 2mm clearance between the lid :)

joshF said:
I've got a 4.5kg and couldn't be happier with it. Obviously doesnt have the longevity as the 6 or 6.8kg cylinders but a happy medium between those and a 2.6kg especially only running two kegs at a time.

Oh and it fits in my pint sized chesty with about 2mm clearance between the lid :)
Hmmm, wonder if the 4.5Kg would fit onto the back of the Keg King Kegerator?

Beerswiller said:
Does anyone know if the 6Kg KegKing Cylinder will actually fit on the back of the KK Kegerators? or are they way too big?
Unfortunately No they don't, not in the supplied bracket

I found having the bottle hanging off the back pretty inconvenient anyway.
First - the kegerator sticks out 6 inches too far.
Second - you can't see the reg.
Third - the kegerator sticks out too far.

Mine just sites next to the kegerator on the floor.

Beerswiller said:
Hmmm, wonder if the 4.5Kg would fit onto the back of the Keg King Kegerator?
No, they don't.

If you're after a set and forget setup for the kitchen or living room, get a 2.6kg bottle and leave it in the fridge.

If you regularly want to fiddle with the reg and don't mind it sitting on the floor, get any size you want, but keep refill costs in case of leaks in mind.

Forget about the stupid bracket, it's useless, unless you place your kegerator in a corner like Bribie once did, and even then it's stupid.

Thanks guys that's actually great advice, I didn't even give the idea of the co2 cylinder making the fridge stick out... That would have actually made it a PITA for the spot which I was installing... Might just go the larger cylinder on the floor idea :)

I noticed KK 6kg bottles are $100 cheaper to buy than the MyKegsOnLegs 6.8kg I used to have... Any reason they are that much cheaper?? I assume they have passed the AU standards so they should be ok?? Yeah?

Are they the steel ones?

steel is heavy and does rust.
aluminium is light weight and doesn't rust.

make of that what you want, both have their advantages.

Back