Quantcast

What Should I Do

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

homebrewkid

Well-Known Member
Joined
3/8/08
Messages
339
Reaction score
71
hi guys,


im going to make my first batch in over 6 months this arvo [no brewing due to living with the inlaws for 6 months but thats another story] and need to clean everything, i cant be stuffed going to the shop as SWMBO has gone to a wedding expo with her best friend im at home with the baby and the other daughter is at nan and pops for the day

i have here:

some pink stuff that i cant remember what it is it smells sort of like chlorine and i wrote on the jar one teaspoon to 5 litres of water?

a bit of coopers sanitiser [sodium percarbonate]

two satchels of copper tun no rinse steriliser [sodium percarbonate]

and 2 litres of unscented bleach

what should i use and how should i mix it to clean gear that hasnt been used in 6 months?

i did clean everything before it was packed away but for obvious reasons i want to give it all a good clean

cheers: HBK


[edit] just found some sodium metabisulfate ive got also
 

kelbygreen

Crazy Clown
Joined
28/11/09
Messages
2,850
Reaction score
21
the pink stuff might be what I used to get off MHB. I think its a cleaner but can be used as a sanitiser. Pink Stain Remover I think it was called.

If its PSR then I would use that to clean and bleach and vinegar to sanitise. Are you sure its sodium percarbonate not sodium metabisolfate? I think its called. Sodium perc is good cleaner as well, It can be used as a sanitiser but I would not trust it on its own.
 

QldKev

Brew Dude
Joined
21/6/05
Messages
7,471
Reaction score
1,031
Location
Bundy
hi guys,


im going to make my first batch in over 6 months this arvo [no brewing due to living with the inlaws for 6 months but thats another story] and need to clean everything, i cant be stuffed going to the shop as SWMBO has gone to a wedding expo with her best friend im at home with the baby and the other daughter is at nan and pops for the day

i have here:

some pink stuff that i cant remember what it is it smells sort of like chlorine and i wrote on the jar one teaspoon to 5 litres of water?

a bit of coopers sanitiser [sodium percarbonate]

two satchels of copper tun no rinse steriliser [sodium percarbonate]

and 2 litres of unscented bleach

what should i use and how should i mix it to clean gear that hasnt been used in 6 months?

i did clean everything before it was packed away but for obvious reasons i want to give it all a good clean

cheers: HBK


The pink stuff is for the wash
The sodium perc is not the best sanitiser, aka crap. Not a bad cleaner

Use either for the cleaning, giving it all a good soak in the cleaners. Remember dont use scourers on plastic fermenters etc.

Once everything is 110% clean, sanatise using the bleach and some white vinegar. Rinse with boiling water.

Then if you are going to get back into it, find some
PBW for washing up
and Starsan for sanatising.


QldKev
 

twizt1d

Well-Known Member
Joined
8/9/11
Messages
189
Reaction score
19
the pink stuff would be pink stain remover which isnt bad for cleaning with
the sodium percarb would be good for cleaning but dont use it as no rinse sanitiser cos its not really good enough as a sanitiser and its definately not a 'no rinse' product

use either of those with hot water and soak for a while then rinse really well

i'd probably give your fermenter a good nuking with a strong bleach mix for an hour or so after cleaning to kill any nasties then rinse with warm/hot water till the smell is completely gone
(still use a sanitiser before filling it tho)


edit: im a slow typer haha
 

homebrewkid

Well-Known Member
Joined
3/8/08
Messages
339
Reaction score
71
cheers for the help


how should i mix the bleach/vinegar and how long should i leave it?
 

seemax

Well-Known Member
Joined
9/4/08
Messages
1,199
Reaction score
5
do your own research

vinegar + bleach produces chlorine gas ... not something i want to inhale
 

twizt1d

Well-Known Member
Joined
8/9/11
Messages
189
Reaction score
19
if your not sure, dont do it
mixing it wrong will release chlorine gas and if you get a good enough whiff it could do some serious damage to your lungs
theres a big thread on here that details the ratios of mixing it, but dilute one first with the full volume of water then add the other



just as a footnote
sodium metabisulphite isnt too bad as a sanitiser really (last resort) but its not the liquid mix that does the sanitising, you need to mix it then swirl it around tip it out and let it sit for a while sealed up
its the gas it releases that does the sanitising dont breathe any of it in though its sulfur dioxide

and if you have asthma avoid metabisulphite! its really nasty stuff i've used it professionally for years as a preservative for prawns.
 

pk.sax

RIP bum
Joined
19/8/10
Messages
4,362
Reaction score
415
Considering you cleaned everything before storing, I'd be tempted to say, give it a good wash, swirl some bleach in cold water to sanitise and rinse out with HOT water.
Make sure there is zero dirt in there before you bleach it and be sure to get it all out with hot water. Use quickly after.
 

Latest posts

Top