What Should I Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanbos

Reaction score
help i dont no what to do my aus bitter i put in started at .024 and has been in a week and dropped to .010 and isnt going any further

any advice

is this gonna be a shit batch

cheers

flanbos,
If it stays at 1.010 for a couple of days you are at bottling gravity. Its impossible to tell if its gonna be a "shit batch" on gravity alone - it depends on what you put in the fermenter!
It should be fine...
Cheers,
TL

if the grav is 1010 - that is ok to rack to secondary....

Still need to know if your original gravity was actually 1.024, if so that's very low.

tdh

what goodies went into the brew, what volume etc. it might help people to help you a bit better.

1.024 does sound very low, most kits seem to be around 1.040(ish) mark.

yeah sorry i ment (1.024 and and 1.010 )

it was a thomas coppers aus bitter kit 1.5L
1.5 of light liquid malt
12g halluatue (or however ya spell it) finishing hops
23L batch

im just mainly concerned bout the OG so i guess im just gonna have to put it in CC and wait an see

i might even bottle a few and try a few chilli bottles!!

cheers

something dont seem right about your OG for what you put into your brew. Are you sure your hydrometer is ok?
I had one i got with a coopers kit and it was a long way out when i checked it against a couple of others. The best way to check it is throw it into some plain tap water, it should read 1.000 or close to it.

yeah i thought that might be the case, so i checked it in water and it read all good..............this is a very suss brew hmmmmmmmmmmm

the beer devils might have gotten it

Hi flanbos,
I would just put it down to experience. I dont know how long you have been brewing but I remember when I started I made one that started at around 1034.
1024 is very low. WHat I love about this hobby is you get to make all sorts of brews. Maybe the reading was wrong originally.
As long as its not infected I would bottle and drink it.

cheers

Flanbos, Did you give the fermenter a good stir before you did the OG?

Flanbos,

Stick with it. I did a stockmans draught kit that I thought I would have to toss when I first tried it.........I drank other beer around it and when I had no choice I went back to it and in the finish was a pretty good drop and I was sorry to see it go!

Remember if it don't kill you it can only make you stronger!!!!!!!

flanbos said:
it was a thomas coppers aus bitter kit 1.5L
1.5 of light liquid malt
12g halluatue (or however ya spell it) finishing hops
23L batch
Couple of questions - although they're more academic than anything now that you've made the batch...

Are you sure you put in 1.5kg of LME or was it more like a 1kg tub of LME?

Did you have an accurate measure of where 23L is on the fermenter or did you accidentally overfill the fermenter and thus drop the gravity to 1.024?

Was the original gravity measured whilst the beer was hot or at pitching temp?

Based on my calcs, you only need 1.725 kg of LME (or 1533g of DME) in 23L to get to 1.024 - that's a typical SG for a kit beer with no additives (eg, Low Alcohol batch or a brew that you forgot to put the LME into :p ).

Cheers,
TL
P.S. Don't ditch it - bottle it and learn from every batch you make ;)

Back