What Should I Do With My Unlabelled Grains!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
I have a small dilemma in the brewery at home.
Stupidly I relied on my memory to recall what grains I had in various containers at home :rolleyes: ! Now I have labelled all my specialties and imported malts but I have around 6-8kgs of various amounts of what I think is Galaxy, IMC Pils and BB Ale malt plus 1/2 a bag of what could be BB Ale or IMC Pils.

What do you think I should do?

C&B
TDA

If it's not immediately obvious from the colour of the grain, perhaps you could crack and mash 50 grams of each, and see if you can tell from the resulting liquor colour which may be which.

I guess you could use them as base malts for darker beers where you won't notice the difference between them. Winter's a good time for 'em :D

Stupidly I relied on my memory to recall what grains I had in various containers at home :rolleyes: ! Now I have labelled all my specialties and imported malts but I have around 6-8kgs of various amounts of what I think is Galaxy, IMC Pils and BB Ale malt plus 1/2 a bag of what could be BB Ale or IMC Pils.

C&B
TDA

Big fat FES or RIS

C&B
TDA
Randomly grab some hops and some random yeast, brew up.
Chances are you will make the tastiest beer ever and you will never NEVER be able to repeat it.
:icon_cheers:

You could save it and some time in July brew it with the rest of us for charity....

Try munching on some of them and see if you can tell the difference

+2 Go a couple of nice heavy RIS's. I reckon your absolutely stuffed to really identify what's what even by smell, taste and look.

That sounds like my brewing method!

Don't you mean that IS your brewing method PoMo... or so FatzG said (love to creat discord against those Southerners Tehehehe!) :icon_cheers:

Thoroughly mix the 8k, split into two batches, mash with some polenta and really hit it up with Carared and Crystal and make a couple of rich American Ambers with heaps of Chinook and Cascade. US-05.

Don't you mean that IS your brewing method PoMo... or so FatzG said (love to creat discord against those Southerners Tehehehe!) :icon_cheers:

FG is pretty good at creating his own discord.

I measure with buckets. eg, atm I have one bucket of "some ale malt" from a storage container that I can't recall the contents of with a bucket of Vienna and a handful of carafa spec II. Will make a nice beer (actually 2 as I plan to pitch one batch on an English yeast and one on Unibroue) regardless of whether the first malt is IMC, BB, or JW, ale pils or munich. I'm thinking it's IMC Ale, but who cares?

A good thing imho is to use the malt in a blend. A little of bag/bucket A, a little of bag/bucket B and you'll get a more multi-dimensional flavour.

C&B
TDA

Mix them all together with a touch of wheat and make an Aussie pale with maybe a POR hopburst perhaps :D :ph34r:

Cheers,
BB

I'd taste them each and try and compare them to grains you have that you know what they are. Note what you think they are.
Then I'd mix them all together and make a big arsed APA and use all of your homegrown hops too late.

The notes at the beginning may help you recreate the recipe if it is a winner :p

Doc

Im in the same boat. I have a couple of kilos of grain that I cant remember what it is. I cracked one and it definately looks like carared, nice hard shiny red toffee looking but im sure i used all my carared. I seem to remember getting some Munich II a while back. Does munich II look nice, shiny, red toffee when you crack a grain?
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for all the replies.

I spent some time last night tasting the grains and looking at colours and could distinguish them more so with the colour than taste but still don't know if it's Galaxy or IMC Pils LOL!

Anyway there is some food for thought and I will mull over all suggestion but I reckon with all the American hops in the freezer at home it may just be time for a strong american pale ale with lots of hops. Supplement some grain with munich and i should be right. Although I have never brewed a RIS before so who knows.

And Bribie, you will never catch me using a dry yeast but thanks anyway :icon_cheers: !

C&B
TDA

Back