What Recipe Is This?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Going through my book of "to brew" recipes, and found this one which i was aiming to put down in the next couple of days... Thing is, I cant recall what it is... I thought it was an extract version somewhat of DrSmurtos Golden Ale... And i have all the ingredients already that i obviously bought a few weeks ago... I even bought a 20L pot...

But ill be dammed...

2.5kg Light DME
1kg Wheat LME
250g Pale Crystal grain
23g Amarillo @ 60mins
18g Amarillo @ 20mins
23g Amarillo @ 5mins
US05 Yeast
Whirfloc @ 5 mins

Recipe
Steep Crystal grain for 30-40mins @ 70.c
Add Steepings with 1kg Light DME + 600g Wheat LME to make 10 litre boil
Add Hops and Whirfloc as per recipe
Add remaining Malts at end of boil (flameout)
Cool and add to fermenter, Pitch at approx 20.c

Does that ring any bells?

Cheers

Considering the wheat LME I have comes on 1.5kg, or 1.1litres (coopers) does anyone know if it will make mich differencr if I add the whole can, or if I do, should I back the DME off a little?

I thought about dropping the dried malt to 2.25kg, then adding the whole can of LME... w

I just dont really want to waste 1/3 can of LME...

Thoughts?

Cheers

IMO chuck it in. dont waste 1/3 can of malt. itll give your beer a little extra kick/body.
maybe you could compensate with an extra gram or 2 or amarillo.
if you want to keep close to original recipe, do as you mentioned, back off ldme.

It'll up the alcohol a bit and change the flavour a bit but why waste it.
I wouldn't back off the DME If your concerned about changing the flavour profile. That would only add to the problem.

At the end of the day its home brew and 500g of extra wheat extract wont stop it from being a good beer.
Wheat Extract isn't generally 100% wheat anyway apparently.

Cheers

For those that are interested.... this came up an ABSOLUTE cracker! I used about half the can of wheat LME in the boil, the rest added to the fermenter once cooled.

I doubt it will make it to the weekend :-/

Latest posts

Back