What Proportion Of Beer Consumption Is Homebrewed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the beer you drink, what proportion is brewed either by yourself or fellow craft/home brewer?

• 0-30%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30-60%

• 60-90%

• 90-99%

• 100%

• Total voters
I would be in the 60-90 range. I like to try other thiings too. I also like the odd night at the pub with the guys after work on a Friday.

JasonY said:
90- 99% : Have to account for those occasions when you go out and it is not acceptable to bring a keg :p
[post="66850"][/post]​

Never found it unacceptable to bring a keg or a few bottles poured from the tap....

90 -99% also... :chug:

60-90%, probably in the lower reaches.

Either I don't brew enough, or I drink too much, or both :eek:

I hope that is well away from any vege's, unless you are composting the waste correctly, human waste should not be directly used on any food crops (unless treated correctly, diluting is not enough). :eek:

Why is that?
Urine is actually sterile!

99%. Not very often i get out ( im a shift worker ). But, i can be a beer whore and drink anything, new, cold, Vb ( dont tell no one! ), but only at the pub or club. now and then, i will buy myself a 4 pack of boddingtons or munchner hoffbrau, but mostly, its homebrew for me.

Darren said:
Why is that?

Looking around the information I can find, I stand corrected. Appears there is not much problem with urine on the vegetables other than medicines you have taken but they are in trace amounts. Now faeces is a totally different story but Tidalpete didn't say he was pooping in the gardening.

So diluted urine is fine for the veges. Sorry Tidelpete. Once again I prove a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

90-99

It's the pub lunch every friday that stuffs it up. But I'll live with that. Also the odd belgian or german wheat beer mysteriously makes it into my frdge. Also somethig I'm prepared to live with.

10-4

Borret :blink:

Darren said:
I hope that is well away from any vege's, unless you are composting the waste correctly, human waste should not be directly used on any food crops (unless treated correctly, diluting is not enough). :eek:

Why is that?
[post="66904"][/post]​

Well, it is free from bacteria but can still contain virus'. Having said that, it should be fine.

nonicman said:
Tidalpete said:
As urine contains a large percentage of nitrogen, I use the bucket in my lawn locker whenever possible to keep my garden green. :p At a 1:10 ratio with water of course.

I hope that is well away from any vege's, unless you are composting the waste correctly, human waste should not be directly used on any food crops (unless treated correctly, diluting is not enough).

90-99% percent for me.

edit: spelling
[post="66870"][/post]​

As I'm not into vege production I do not have to worry about this. :)
If the canned\frozen veges\rice, etc that you eat comes from Asian climes, there's a excellent chance that their fertilising methods do not comply with Australian hygiene standards. :p

:beer:

Darren said:
<chopped>
</chopped>
[post="66904"][/post]​

AFAIK, from my Biology study daze, urine is pathogen-free, as it is fltered by the kidneys.

However, it can pick up greeblies at some point down from the kidneys, e.g. urinary tract infection, social diseases etc.

Now, I return U to your irregularly scheduled programming (not off-topic, anyway).

Seth E (B.Sc.) :p

Visits to the bottle shop are rare these days, and then usually to get something different beer wise.

I answered 90-99% - and I still can't manage to get my head
into the mashtun often enough!

Rgds,
Pete

I went for 90-99%, I would definately be at the low end of that as I travel for work so consume commercial/microbrewed beer on these trips.

C&B
TDA

Im with Kook - tasting a load of different beers that the UK and Europe have to offer. Living in a 1 b/r flat in london i dont have the means to brew this year.

Oh yeah, i found LCPA over here the other day so include it with the other aussie beers i drink like fosters at the walkabout :ph34r:

60-90%, although towards the upper end because sometimes i drink faster than i brew and i like to buy the occasional belgian/trappist ale for something different.

Alien boy said:
60/90%
Oh and my 2c worth on the urine topic.
As a horticulturalist i can tell u that yes it is high in nitrogen and is best diluted to avoid burning some plants .Citrus love it so we on your lemon or orange if you have one.
i have been weeing on 2 agapanthus in my yard as an experiment now for 2 years .The one that gets urine is twice as big as the one without (nitrogen promotes leaf growth),but the one without flowers better due to a more even N.P.K ratio.

Hope this isnt so much a hijack, as an interesting thread within a thread (go figure)

Whoooo hoooo just noticed post 100
[post="67011"][/post]​

Yeah, too much nitrogen promotes leaf growth at the expense of flowering.
This is turning into a regular 'Gardening Australia' thread. Will Peter Cundall post here next? :p

Well, I said about 30%. I still go to the pub each afternoon and catch up with the mates and drink my beloved Tooheys Old. Then I come home and drink my brews which are usually dark beer orientated.

I voted 60%-90%.

I go out to the pub once a week with mates.

Plus I regularly buy commercially available beers (but not mega-swill). I brew because I'm a beer lover and I don't have the time, capacity or skill to brew the full range of beers that I like to drink. I might have a hankering for a stout, but don't have any on tap and have no hang-ups about going out and buying a six-pack. There are also beers that I enjoy occasionaly, like a wheat beer, but I don't want an 18 litre keg of it, so again I grab a six-pack.

As home-brewers I would encourage everyone to continue to try a range of different commercial beers, just to keep their taste-buds calibrated to what can be achieved. If you surpass the commercial benchmark, then a big thumbs up. If your brewing is falling behind, then you have something new to aim for.

A prime example is LCPA. Before this came on the market, most of us would have had no idea about APA's and what they can taste like. LCPA set a benchmark for many of us which we would miss if we only dranl 100% homebrew.

Cheers
MAH

Back