What Power Lamp For Ferment Fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt89

Reaction score
Hey guys I wanna get a heat lamp/fan going inside my ferment fridge so I can get some brews done in this cold weather ATM, just wondering what power lamp people are using.
My fridge is a standard sized domestic one, is it worth installing the fan as well?

Cheers Matt

Hey guys I wanna get a heat lamp/fan going inside my ferment fridge so I can get some brews done in this cold weather ATM, just wondering what power lamp people are using.
My fridge is a standard sized domestic one, is it worth installing the fan as well?

Cheers Matt
Unfortunately with the phasing out of the old style heaters (light globes), the new energy efficient globes seem to produce less heat which means I'm now using a 20W (100W equivalent) globe plugged into a standard outdoor glass lamp fitting which sits on the fridge floor. No fan necessary, just hook it up to a timer and adjust the length of time the light is on/off so you get the temp you're after. It's not an exact science, but you have the fridge kicking in if it gets too warm.

I used this (without the sensor)

light.jpg

I velcroed the base to the compressor hump and cut a disc out of metal to cover the light which fitted inside the cover. I use it with a 40 watt globe, which is all you would need. And its plugged into my STC1000.

Unfortunately with the phasing out of the old style heaters (light globes), the new energy efficient globes seem to produce less heat which means I'm now using a 20W (100W equivalent) globe plugged into a standard outdoor glass lamp fitting which sits on the fridge floor.

Forget the fluoro style lamps and use the halogen "replacement" lamps. They give off a plenty of heat.

Wes

Thanks for the replys guys, security light is looking the easiest to me as no screwing around with having to fit a bayonet for the bulb :)

Ive got a commercial glass door freezer that is set up for fermenting in; it comes with 2 X 125W fans, running just the fans will get it up to nearly 40oC.
The point being that all the energy that goes into running a fan eventually turns up as heat, the fan will also keep the whole contents of the fridge at the same temperature, so just a fan will probably be enough heat in a well insulated fridge, the cooling will kick in at need to stop the brew overheating and you dont need a fancy controller, just a basic STC-1000 or like running the fridge.
Mark

I've got a commercial glass door freezer that is set up for fermenting in; it comes with 2 X 125W fans, running just the fans will get it up to nearly 40oC.
The point being that all the energy that goes into running a fan eventually turns up as heat, the fan will also keep the whole contents of the fridge at the same temperature, so just a fan will probably be enough heat in a well insulated fridge, the cooling will kick in at need to stop the brew overheating and you don't need a fancy controller, just a basic STC-1000 or like running the fridge.
Mark
You'd probably find that the doors have mullion heaters in them being a glass door freezer to stop sweating while in operation cooling wise, which could account for the heat as well

I like the simplicity of this but scared that the heat is being applied too concentrated to one area?

Don't wrap the belt around the fermenter - just hang it in the fridge.

Just hang the Heat belt in the fridge, not actually around a fermenter.
Cheers
Robbo

Can always get a helt belt/pad and a computer fan in the fridge.

I haven't wired mine up yet (the fan) but I have my fermenter sitting on a metal shelf in the fridge, and the heat pad can be put on the floor of the fridge, with the fan to circulate the air around so that the heat gets evenly dispersed.

I should probably get around to installing the fan and whatnot, but it seems to maintain a nice 17'C without the fridge turning on or needing a heat pad at the moment. Just saves on a little electricity for now.

Probably a little cold for some ale yeasts and won't let their characteristics shine through as they should at around 20'C, but it suits me atm...

Sponge

Just hang the Heat belt in the fridge, not actually around a fermenter.
Cheers
Robbo

I wrap mine around the fermenter. It's never been an issue that my taste buds been able to discern from a beer brewed sans heat belt...

Folks have been using them for years and years.

look around the asian shops or $2 shops for globes.i use a 40 watt incadescent but my fridge is only 170 litre size.you can get halogen equivalent at bunnings.

Used to use a 75w incandescent, but since upgraded to a 240v fermwrap style heater.

You'd probably find that the doors have mullion heaters in them being a glass door freezer to stop sweating while in operation cooling wise, which could account for the heat as well

Not any more they dont, first thing to get disconnected.
Mark

Ive got a commercial glass door freezer that is set up for fermenting in; it comes with 2 X 125W fans, running just the fans will get it up to nearly 40oC.
The point being that all the energy that goes into running a fan eventually turns up as heat, the fan will also keep the whole contents of the fridge at the same temperature, so just a fan will probably be enough heat in a well insulated fridge, the cooling will kick in at need to stop the brew overheating and you dont need a fancy controller, just a basic STC-1000 or like running the fridge.
Mark

Your not listening guys.

Back