What Power Lamp For Ferment Fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 150L chest freezer (located out in the 'cold' garage), with a "Fridgemate" temperature controller, for my fermenters. The latter being up to 4x15L ex-fresh wort kit containers. Last month I brewed four different recipes using lager yeasts at 10C. After one week, we left Canberra (14-15C highs and -4 to-1C lows). I raised the the controller setting to 12C prior to leaving and covered the freezer with a couple of unzipped sleeping bags. Three weeks later we returned from north Queensland to find the freezer still at 10C. eg. 4x15L of fermenting wort stayed within 10-12C (lager) temps even though the house heater was off for three weeks during Canberra's winter. eg. there are a lot of tasty lager recipes available suitable for fermenting at this time of year. ie. I no longer battle the elements (chase heating options) in an effort to brew ales during the winter

Been using an ordinary old 60W globe in the ferment fridge during winter for years, if that counts for anything.

Back