What Next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
I have resigned myself to the fact that my latest batch of home brew is infected and I'll have to chuck it :(

So that leaves me with the thought of what beer to make next- something that makes me happy again :p . But what will I make? I want to make something that would mature relatively quickly, as I am leaving on holidays near the end of december and I want to be through it by then.

What should be the next beer to make on my list be?

Also, I want to make a beer that will be nice and ready for drinking when I return- that's 8 weeks. What would you recommend I brew and bottle (or, if I have them by then, keg) just before I leave?

Ahh, so many beers, so little time.

How about when you are away? Why not throw a fermentor full of Pilsner in the fridge for the duration! Keg it when you get back. I have done it before where I have left a Black Lager in the fridge for 6 weeks @ 10 degrees C. I used the W34/70 yeast. Turned out great.

Just a thought.
Gerard

That's a great idea! I'm looking at fermentation fridges (see 'what a gug' thread), and lagering over my holidays sounds like a good idea. Cuts down on me anxiously waiting for the result.

What for my next batch though?

When all else fails, a wheat beer will be there for you. :D

It matures quickly and will be carbonated B4 U leave. Then just chuck 'em in the fridge and they'll be ready to drink as soon as U get home.

...and for good measure, a Saazy lager too, in the fermentation fridge.

Seth :p

I've tried to avoid wheat beers so far because all the wheat beers my friend has made have been pretty bad. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers anyway.

I'll probably leave some sort of lager in the fridge lagering while I'm away so I have some kegging to do when I've recovered from the jetlag!

I'll also have some ESB blegian ale ready to drink, as I bottled it a couple of weeks ago and several months of maturing will make sure it will be a nice brew :)

Go for an English bitter. Ready in the blink of an eye, and it'll be the last chance this season. By the time you get back from holidays you'll be wanting that crisp lager.

an apa no to bitter around 32 ibu half pils half ale malt that be good for summer too

peas_and_korn said:
I've tried to avoid wheat beers so far because all the wheat beers my friend has made have been pretty bad. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers anyway.

You're not suggesting Kenny makes a bad wheat beer are you??? ;) :D

:p

Great! I'm going to the store tomorrow and getting some stuff for an English bitter. I haven't made one before (as I have only made 7 batches... a newbie here!) so it'll be a bit different.

So- English bitter for now, and have a nice lager or pilsener inn cold storage while I'm away. sounds like a plan! :beer:

Back