What Next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a fair few kilo's of DME in storage at the moment and a lot of grolcshies as i picked up another 74 on the weekend and I am not sure what to brew next.
I just bottled an APA and have a porter in secondary that I had to pitch more yeast into because of a stuck ferment.
I have only done small steeps so far. I am willing to use up to a couple of kilos of different grain for flavour and colour.
Can I make a lager style beer with this DME or do you need some other sort of different malt.
Anyone that can suggest anything would be much appreciated.

cheers

well, maybe im biased, but i just bottled my part mash oat stout today to be ready for winter. was really easy to do a small mash with 1kg pale malt and 500g oats. also steeped some chocolate and roast barley for more color and flavor.

also a good time ot start doing lagers as the weather cools. shouldnt be a problem (as far as i know) using dme, it depends more on the yeast and ferment temps to make a lager. of course, ive only done one kit pilsner that fermented way too hot. the diacetyl is finally almost all gone after over eight months bottled. i think i am just about ready to try again though.

since you've got the porter already, maybe a lager. dark, light, pils, munich, vienna, the possibilities are endless!!
joe

Johno

check out the Grumpys Partial Mash Bock recipee - that will chew up 2-3 kg of the DME.

Extremely good beer.

Back