What Liquid Yeasts To Buy/try

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Might be buying some liquid yeast this weekend and i'd love some advise from people that have tried these yeasts. I want to cover my brewing needs, but not go over board and have 3 yeasts to do the same job

Yeast i am thinking about are:
WHEAT (only need one)
German 3333
Weihenstephan 3068

LAGER (have a Calif lager yeast) dont need 4 lager yeasts though,
Munich 2308
Danish 2042
Czech Pils 2278

ALE ( one for stout + one for ales?)
Irish Ale 1084 (for my stout)
(other for making pale ales or amber ales etc)

I want to cover most my brewing with the liquid yeast but would like to cut down the number of yeast i have there. (dont want to cover one style with 3 yeast as i'll never use them, but i want to be able to brew most beers well)

I have used the irish ale yeast in my last two brews and am very happy with the results.
they where a stout and an amber ale.
both very nice.
am currently brewing the bavarian lager.

I might get
the Munich lager
irish ale

and need a wheat beer one.... must decide between them

see what they have in stock that may help decide :)

WYeasts 1056 (american ale) is a very good clean ale yeast. Produces great clean tasting pale ales. I've made two IPAs and two APAs with it.

edit - BTW do you have a brew fridge or cold enviroment for all those lager yeasts? Cal lager works fine at higher temps, but the others you'll want to keep below 15 to retain lager tastes..

If I had to pick three ale yeasts to start off with they would be
  • WLP001 California Ale yeast
  • WLP002 British Ale Yeast
  • WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
If I had to pick 2 two lager yeasts they would be
  • WLP800 Pilsen Lager Yeast
  • WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager Yeast
Sorry can't remember the Wyeast versions off the top of my head, but I posted a reference sheet in the Ingredients forum a couple of months ago you can look up.

Beers,
Doc

Ive been using the 1084 Irish for my last few batches, no complaints here, no stuck fermentations, seems to floctuate pretty well, (but thats after 2 weeks in secondary)

hmmm so many to choose from.... And at them moment i do not have a cooling fridge to brew in but the DAM cold weather in melbourne is making life easy for Lagers. I'm trying to build up stock in the cold weather

How do you lager the lagers? :lol:

well i have hooked up some thermocouples to the brew, and its about 4 deg at night (Avg) the door to the fridge is open over night then closed during the day, it gets to about 6 deg at the end of the day (inside fridge with door shut) , then i open it again at night

so it aint a constant 4deg Lagering

but 4-6 +-1deg I think for $0 its not bad!

thats how i lager :lol:

Lucky you say sitting in you nice warm weather :)

its freezing I hate the cold come on the 40 deg days!!!!

(when its the case i will need to rid up the fridge again)

melbourne really has winter and summer, such a huge difference i was a QLD boy where its warm or warmer but this melb weather almost kills me each winter

.... any way i ramble enough back to this beer

Im not sure if you guys can get it down there but see if your homebrew shop can get WLP802 Czech Budojovice Lager Yeast. Its THE best lager yeast I have ever used...period!

Ben said:
Lucky you say sitting in you nice warm weather :)

its freezing I hate the cold come on the 40 deg days!!!!

(when its the case i will need to rid up the fridge again)

melbourne really has winter and summer, such a huge difference i was a QLD boy where its warm or warmer but this melb weather almost kills me each winter

.... any way i ramble enough back to this beer
Ben

You should try Canberra.
We can get / have min of -7 Degrees with a highs lower than 10 Degrees.

I have ridden to work - 11 km at -7 before.
And i know some people who have ridden in the SNOW!!!!!

Now ridding in the SNOW is not for this little black duck.

well as per doc's conversion chart

the WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager is Wyeast 2007 Czech Pils Yeast

WLP800 Pilsner Lager is Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager Yeast
WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager is Wyeast 2247 European Lager
WLP002 English Ale is Wyeast 1318 London Ale, and London ESB Ale wyeat 1968
WLP001 Califonia Ale is Wyeast 1056 American Ale

and i have Wyeast Califonia Lager 2112 same as WLP810 San Francisco Lager....

so many to choose from

Anyone able to offer an opinion on the Thames Valley Wyeast?

I bought one as recommended for a Marston's pedigree copy and for a Superior Brown Ale copy. Have also used it in a Cascade heavily-hopped pale ale. So far only the Marstons and the cascade have come into condition. (Nice flavours although the marstons has an infection I think.) :(

Anyway, every time I used it, the fermentation stopped straight after racking. Anybody else have this problem with Thames Valley? Anybody use it and want to say how it worked for you?

ive only used wyeast havent even seen whitelabs and so far the best have been

american 1 1056 good neutral yeast

american 11 1272 fruiter

irish ale 1086 clean youll be happy with the result using this for a normal ale yeast as well as a stout etc

californian lager 2112 awesome these beers are in between an ale and a lager(2112 also one of the best albums of all time i like to think RUSH and steam are sort of linked somehow)

london 1028worked well in porter but 1086 is better.

jayse i have used whitelabs and i prefer to just use it in my stater no waiting for the pack to swell up i have used the irish ale and still have some and it is great but i have to test and at the moment im using 22o6 bavairian lager by wyeast.

white labs was being sold at bremaker in holdn hill but no many people tried it its a pity cause i love em

I bought London ALE I
witzen.... whatever Wheat yeast

(both under advise of Grain and Grape)

so next time i'll try the Irish ale (i was out of cash - spent $250 on the day)

london ales good, iam drinking the cleanest fermented porter ever right now that used it .keep the temp stable though 20c.(pretty much the rule with any yeast )i didnt like it that much in a pale ale
not to keen on using a wheat yeast ill do it one day when i get back into bottling and i dont have to have a whole keg of the stuff.taking up room in the fridge

jazman
22o6 bavairian lager thats what i was gunna get when i got the 2112 but bill at brew maker didnt have it.so i got the 2112
looking forward to using it though ive wasted half the winter fermenting ales with a heater belt.but the 2206 should be versitle for premium lagers and dark lagers even craft brewed porter.cant wait theres too many beers i want to make.ive got a fridge for lager fermenting but its now become my second fridge for kegs getting a big chest freezer modifid soon to fit all my kegs.then ill have space for food again and a lagering fridge.

Back