What Level To Bottle At

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey guys,

just getting ready to bottle my first brew this weekend, and using the coopers kit and the brown PET 750mL bottles that come with the kit. i've been checking as much information as i can to do it all correctly, but i've seen and read differing levels in terms of how high or full i should fill the bottle to - at what point do you cap the bottle and how much space should be left of air at the top?

i hope this makes sense.

cheers,

fletcher

Assuming your using the bottling wand that came with the kit, just fill to the top of the bottle. The displacement that the wand creates while filling will leave the right amount of space in the top of the bottle.

hey guys,

just getting ready to bottle my first brew this weekend, and using the coopers kit and the brown PET 750mL bottles that come with the kit. i've been checking as much information as i can to do it all correctly, but i've seen and read differing levels in terms of how high or full i should fill the bottle to - at what point do you cap the bottle and how much space should be left of air at the top?

i hope this makes sense.

cheers,

fletcher

Assuming you use the bottling wand from the tap on your fermenter, just fill the bottles as far as they will go with the wand in the bottle.
When you take the bottle away from the bottling wand, you'll have the perfect fill level!

I add the priming medium (caster sugar in my case) prior to filling the bottles. You can use the carb drops, ordinary table sugar, caster sugar, dextrose, or dry malt extract; they'll all work.

When I fill my bottles, I place a cap loosely on top, and set the bottle aside. When all the bottles are filled, I then use my benchcapper.
I find there is a little dissolved CO coming out of solution as the bottles are set aside, and it helps in minimising the oxygen in the bottle.

Never had a problem carbonating my beers using my method.

hey guys,

i hope this makes sense.

cheers,

fletcher
Hey Mate if you are using a bottling wand ,when the bottle is full and you take the wand out it will be at the proper level , cap, shake to stir the priming sugar ,leave till ur thirsty ( at least 2 wks @ around 18c or so )refridgerate till cold , enjoy .

Shake the bottle after you have the sugar in there with the cap on? This is the first I have read this one, would the fermentation in the bottle not just pick it up?

Shake the bottle after you have the sugar in there with the cap on? This is the first I have read this one, would the fermentation in the bottle not just pick it up?

If you are using solid sugar ie not dissolved in water first inverting the capped bottles a few times helps for the sugar to dissolve.
They say that if you use Carb drops you do not need to shake but I did anyway. There is only a tiny amount of Oxygen present so no danger of oxidation.

Back