What Kit To Use For A Nice Stout Or Porter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maz91379

Reaction score
So my second batch of beer has just come to age and i am thinking of starting a new one.
As i haven't tried brewing a dark beer yet thought it might be a good idea.
I think i can do partial extract brews as i recently got a 19liter stock pot but i haven't tried it yet. So any ideas?

I'd recommend a toucan mate. I just cracked my first stout tonight and it was really nice. Never had anything other than a Guinnes before on the dark dark scale of beer but I really liked it. Hints of chocolate and roasted something maybe coffee/toffee not too sure until it develops more. Nice head and only 1.5 weeks old in bottle. Had three pints now :wub:

Mine was:
Coopers Stout
muntons ( i think ) Pilsner can
300 dex ( should of used LDME )
300grm carapils
US05 Yeast from a previous Coopers bitter
oh and checked 25 grms galaxy hops in there because I just can't brew without Galaxy :lol:

You could just go the two kits and noting else and throw two packs of yeast at it but try for a better yeast.
I like the above so much I'm doing a toucan tomorrow with a can of lager and can of real ale for a lighter session beer.

Others will say one pack of kit yeast, some two for a toucan. Listen to them as I don't use kit yeasts anymore.

I'd recommend a toucan mate.

Me too. I can vouch for this one being a beaut:

2x coopers stout
1kg light dry malt extract
1kg dextrose
100g chocolate malt
100g roasted barley
20g fuggles @ 60
nottingham yeast

quite strong but deeeeeeelicious! :icon_chickcheers:

Yep 2 can Coopers or Morgans Shout and steep 50gr of roasted barley for some kick. Grab some 1084 wyeast.... :icon_drool2:

Cheers

Chappo

Toucan:
Coopers Stout & Coopers Dark Ale
Raw sugar 500g
Honey 400g
Powdered corn syrup 200g
1- vanilla bean
1- cinnamon stick
Steeped grains: Coc malt 125g, Roast Barley 100g, Cracked caramalt 100g,
Yeast nutrient (ie 1-kit yeast)
Nottingham
Optional: 'kitchen sink'
OG 1060
25 litres

I'll throw in a suggestion for more of a porter than stout that'll require a partial mash:

1 Can cascade choc porter kit (cascade kits are not popular with some, some people love them...)
1kg dark dme
500g base malt of your choice (ale preferably)
250g choc malt
250g rolled quick oats

Partial mash the grains and boil with the wort with the dme (optional: small addition of any english hop at 10 min for a bit of extra flavour), add kit straight to fermenter

When i did this I just used US-05 and dry hopped 15g of fuggles (no hops boiled), but an english yeast would be more authentic. Turned out to be a smooth chocolatey brew. Should have an OG of about 1050 for 20L

1 can Coopers Lager
1.5kg LME (2kg ale malt if you feel like a partial mash)
250g choc malt
250g roasted barley
20g Fuggles @ 15 min.
S-04

Get all the malt colour and flavour from your spec malts.

If you do plan on mashing, throw in 250g of brown malt as well and you have a partial version of Warrens 3 shades of stout!

This is a receipe I created to celebrate the arrival of my daughter after having 3 sons.
I call it my Extra Special Porter, abv in 23 litres is about 5.8%.
It's the beer in my little photo.

1 can Muntons Nut Brown Ale
1 can Morgans Dark Crystal
1 can Morgans Caramalt
1/2 can Morgans Amber Malt

50g Goldings hops boiled for 10 to 20 min depending on your taste.
25g Fuggles steeped for 10 min or in boil at 1 min.

For dark beers, get into the Morgans Dark Crystal, worth the money for new brewers as it creates
wonderful flavours and superb head retention.

This brew will not be cheap, ingredients are about $60 at the HBS, but worth every single cent,
and quite easy to make, just a short 20 min boil of the Amber. DO NOT BOIL THE MUNTONS KIT.
Yes, I'm yelling this so you hear me.

i just done my first stout (but not my last!) and it went something like this:

coopers irish stout

300g roast barley

100g choc malt

200g dark crystal

500g dark dry malt

300g dex

20g p.o.r for 20min

safale so4 yeast

og-1045 fg-1013

when fermentation had slowed right down i added the liquid of 50g of coffee that had been steeped in my fridge for two days then filtered and boiled (to pastuerize) to add some more coffee aroma/flavour to my brew.
I used light dry malt to prime at the rate of 5g per litre. I tried some while bottling and it is very nice and to my taste, so in my opinion i have made a nice beer. cheers and good luck! :icon_chickcheers:

Went for more of a poor man's brew this time and did
coopers dark ale/ stout
Brown sugar 500gms
Both yeasts

filled to 23 liters foaming like crazy i have a 32ish liter fermenter and its right at the lid i thought that extra space would cover me but i might have to attach a blow-off hose.
Also it smells like raspberry in my fermentation room and it's rather fantastic compared the the pilsner i did : ).
Will definitely give some of these recipes a go next time.

Back