What Is Your Main Manliness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorco

Reaction score
Whether you call it like you see it, shave with a sharpened shovel, cook with master chef glamour, leap at the chance to change that nappy or leap over fire to grab that next beer...

Share your inner animal or share your most humble thoughts.

Sit in your best chair, bring your blood to its best alcoholic concentration and tell us about your Main Manliness.

nick-offerman-yule-log.jpg

I build things. Out of wood. With power tools (ok and hand tools as well...but very very sharp hand tools).

Next project is a bed made from jarrah.

sp0rk said:
Yeah bro, wear that at the gym all the time when I'm doing curls in the squat rack
Haha, only mucking around.

Keeping strong and fit is indeed a great part of manliness. One of the best. Full respect mate.

Edit: sp0rk said in another thread that he deadlifts 200+kg. For a glance at what that looks like see below....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCfJQWXs6RY

Airgead said:
I build things. Out of wood. With power tools (ok and hand tools as well...but very very sharp hand tools).

Next project is a bed made from jarrah.
I take those tools to the extreme of sharpening.
Over the years I have collected thousands of dollars worth of stones and gadgets for sharpening and have more books on it than I have brewing books. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464068934.520126.jpg

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Haha, only mucking around.

Keeping strong and fit is indeed a great part of manliness. One of the best. Full respect mate.

Edit: sp0rk said in another thread that he deadlifts 200+kg. For a glance at what that looks like see below....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCfJQWXs6RY
Oh stop it :blush:
Do keep in mind those seem to be Crossfit plates, so are bigger (mostly rubber) than the normal plates you see in most gyms
Took a bloody long time to get there, then I had a trailbike riding mishap and herniated a soft disc :/
Almost back to form finally 6 months later, I'm just about to get back into it again, back to an empty bar and progressively loading up over time
I also have scoliosis, so I have to be EXTRA careful with my back, but I have found the extra strength really helps with the back pain I used to have

Other than that I like to try my hand at as many things as I can.
I build or repair as many things myself as possible, I think there's not enough people these days who are willing to at least have a go at doing things themselves

I've always thought anyone driving those big trucks that recover other trucks to be quite manly. The truckers tow-truck driver.
My mrs always seems "slightly" receptive when I reverse the trailer or van into a tight spot.
For a raw display of manliness I can carry a carton of tinnies in each hand, clasping the side of the carton just with the hands...**** I must be manly....seriously, how that transfers to being manly as opposed to platting my daughters hair or tying it in a bun for ballet is questionable these days, which is good too I might add

sp0rk said:
Other than that I like to try my hand at as many things as I can.
I build or repair as many things myself as possible, I think there's not enough people these days who are willing to at least have a go at doing things themselves
Same here, it's the pay-off for being one of those kids who took a screwdriver to everything to find out how they worked.

Our current TV was a scrap job that a mate was throwing out -- since I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, I took it off his hands, had a look at the PCB and made a quick* trip to Jaycar.

$2.10 worth of capacitors and 10 minutes of soldering later, the old girl turns on first try. Been going strong ever since.

* Hahahaha, there is no such thing as a quick trip to Jaycar. I usually have to take a packed lunch.

tugger said:
I take those tools to the extreme of sharpening.
Over the years I have collected thousands of dollars worth of stones and gadgets for sharpening and have more books on it than I have brewing books.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464068934.520126.jpg
This is seriously cool. And it is an art/skill. This skill is on my bucket list but I'm not even sure I could get it right.

At the highest level, you're not removing metal to sharpen it right? You're bending, honing it ?

droid said:
I've always thought anyone driving those big trucks that recover other trucks to be quite manly. The truckers tow-truck driver.
My mrs always seems "slightly" receptive when I reverse the trailer or van into a tight spot.
For a raw display of manliness I can carry a carton of tinnies in each hand, clasping the side of the carton just with the hands...**** I must be manly....seriously, how that transfers to being manly as opposed to platting my daughters hair or tying it in a bun for ballet is questionable these days, which is good too I might add
Nope, the word 'opposed' doesn't fit in! ;)

One of the best things a man can ever achieve is to reciprocate the love their daughters have for them. It will change her (their) world forever.

My 2 year old tore her ballet dress frills and I cracked open the sewing machine kit. My power demo of manliness showed defiance to normal ballet conventions of having the frills even front and back!....ohh noo, now 86% are rearward facing. (Very unmanly to get it wrong, therefore it was deliberate)

Given a choice, she chooses my hack repair work over any other dress.
View attachment 88810

Yes,Bending is done with a steel on a sharp but used knife to bend back the fine edge that is rolled over.
The honing is a part of the sharpening process.
Using a rough stone to cut the bevels to the correct angle for use and then finer stones to remove the scratches until you have a polished sharp edge.

Dave70 said:
I drive a diesel ute.
So do I !
We win, oh and I sharpen my own tools so I'm now one up on you and I've done wieght lifting = 2.
I've stripped a few TVs in my time = 2.5.
I also have a nice smooth technique = 2.51 ish.

I wear trousers.
Every day.
Except when it's too hot.
Tackle freedom is also quite masculine.

I also rarely have a beard but when I do, it's never oiled, waxed or otherwise manipulated bar being shaved off when it itches.

I make crates, I piss standing up and I have hair on my chest.

I look good without a shirt.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=27LLPANAgzw

Back