What Is Your Favorite Adjunct To Your Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
what is your most succesful adjunct ??

Pumpy

Yeast.
Turns my wort into beer every time :lol:

Doc

What are the options?

Rice, wheat, flaked barley, rye, sugar?

Would yeast be considered incidental , accompaniment ,non -essential ????

Pumpy

I thought adjunct was considered any non-malted product that contributes to gravity?

Pumpy said:
Would yeast be considered incidental , accompaniment ,non -essential ????

Pumpy
[post="58030"][/post]​

Technically yeast would not be an adjunct. The question itself was so oblique it just begged that reply.

So, Candi Sugar. And the others not necessarlily considered adjuncts; Corriander, Orange Peel, Grains of Paradise.

Doc

Not really an adjunct, I like to add 250-500g wheat malt to my mashes.

Jovial Monk

hell why not Psyllium Husk and get our RDIDF (recomended daily intake diertry fiber ) @ The same time....

Cheers Bunyip

My understanding is that adjuncts are ingredients that need mashing but don't provide the enzymes to do the job (eg unmalted grains). So sugar is NOT an adjunct.

On that basis, the only one I use with any frequency is roast barley, but I'm not even sure that that counts.

Sugar is most definitely an adjunct!

I think Dunkel is closest to the mark - as I understand it it's any fermentable that isn't malt.

i use a couple..

- Oak Chips
- Dark Compound Cooking choc in stouts and porters.
- Dark Brown Sugar is good too.

I would say the only two 'adjuncts' i really used is flaked barley and oats.
Flaked barley can go into really any beer, it has good attenuation and can help to dry out the beer but still provide plenty of 'foam' at the same time.

Some people seem to think flaked barley adds body believe me or don't but when i say it has very good attenuation iam not just reading that off a dogdey home brew forum, i have used flaked barley to death. :ph34r:

Jayse

jayse said:
I would say the only two 'adjuncts' i really used is flaked barley and oats.
Flaked barley can go into really any beer, it has good attenuation and can help to dry out the beer but still provide plenty of 'foam' at the same time.

Some people seem to think flaked barley adds body believe me or don't but when i say it has very good attenuation iam not just reading that off a dogdey home brew forum, i have used flaked barley to death. :ph34r:

Jayse
[post="58079"][/post]​

Jayse, where do you get your flaked barley?

i got my flaked barley from a home brew shop

Yeap i just get it from a HBS, look for TF flaked barley, it actually looks like flaked barley, ie barley thats been squashed, but the white looking rolled barley seems to give as good result aswell.

Jayse

thanks jayse, my local hbs doesn't have it, so was wondering if it was something you could get from the supermarket or health food stores - i've seen barley bran but not flaked...

Doc thats what I get after brewing all day Sunday and asking such a weird question .

Oh OK I thought adjucts were all those odd flavourings I must have got confused

So I tend to put 500 gms of Torresfield wheat into all my English beers no matter what the recipie would that be regarded as an adjuct ??

Pumpy

Back