What Is Torrified Wheat?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
hey!!!

been searching for some info on torrified wheat but not had much luck, just wondering what the main diff is between torri and reg wheat malt.. ie. what are the differences the two malts will have on a beer??

cheers!

Torrified wheat is not malted it is puffed wheat, it can be found in some breakfast cereals etc, it is puffed like popcorn in hot air.
Its generally only used in small amounts in some pale ales/bitter and also sometimes used in wit as a portion of the raw wheat.

Im looking to use it in a english IPA... im aiming to use all english malt, hops and yeast...

i cant get any english grown wheat malt only torri... I was hopping it would have some of the same properties as reg wheat ie.. improved head retention and added body, my plan was to use about 4% in the grist....

It will do those things - it wont give you any malty flavour... but head retention etc yes. Straight into the mash, no special treatment required.

its not actually puffed,like breakfast cereal,i have some in my palm right now, TB is correct about straight in and lack of maltiness, i use it in all my bitters (2-4%), i read once the british brewers use it because it does not gum up a single infusion mash, well at even 5% not likely but none the the less, anyway i am not certain if it used outside of britain (commercially)..anyway great stuff and i endorse it.

K

Specified in several of Graham Wheeler's recipes in "Brew your own British Real Ale". As a BIABer I haven't looked into it. I would expect that rice hulls would have the same effect.

Specified in several of Graham Wheeler's recipes in "Brew your own British Real Ale". As a BIABer I haven't looked into it. I would expect that rice hulls would have the same effect.

Err...................... :blink:

Use that book, the recipes and you will have beers of legend. A man beyond his time and fame ... his stouts rock.

Just got it back from a loner and I am going round the horn again - Scotty's HB summer by Graham ... bit like the dodgy French cookbook and blog ... and a movie ...

edit > rice hulls are for bad process. torrified wheat is ... torrified and used for making good beer, not bad practitioners ...

"I read somewhere that rather than use torrified wheat use rice hulls"
Screwtop and /// (when /// is translated) are on the money here.

K

If it's being used just as a spacer / de-gummer, then why would it be different to rice hulls? On the other hand of course if the wheat is adding wheatiness then that's a different matter.

I use semolina for that :ph34r:

I disagree. I think the point is that horrified wheat is an ingedient of, fully takes part in, and becomes part and fully consumed by of the beer, while rice hulls provide a physical presence, but do not become part of, and are not consumed by the beer.

These comments towards terrified wheat acting as a lautering aid I am genuinely interested in. Why do we have discussion of a huskless grain improving lauterability? Hoes does it do that?

And if it does do that, do you still get as much extract from this horrible wheat as you do from other forms of gelatinised wheat?

I love torrified wheat.

My basic english bitter grist is 90% ale, 5% crystals, 5% torrified wheat.

I think it was TDA who put me onto it and i haven't looked back.

I see that my usual supplier (sponsor) doesn't stock traumatised wheat - where would you get a couple of ks? DrS would you put your success with the wheat down to its 'toastiness' or its 'wheatiness'? Being a BIABer the free draining thing doesn't worry me and I have gone on to using plain old semolina for anything calling for wheat - for example the best CSA tribute I've ever made - to AndrewQld's recipe - subbed semolina for the wheat malt.
However if there's a flavour advantage to using petrified wheat I'll certainly give it a go in UK bitters.

Latest posts

Back