What is this part? How do I get the line out of it?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitegoose

Reaction score
Hey all,

A few years ago I bought a 5 tap keg fridge (DIY job) from a local brewer, which has served me really well so far, but now it is time to refurbish the setup - take it all apart, clean everything, scrub and paint the outside, put it back together again. As part of this process I'm getting down to the nuts and bolts and finding parts that I'm not familiar with (well, I'm not really familiar with many of them as I'm not much of a handyman/DIY bloke)

I have two questions about one part in particular (see atatched pictures). The two bits shown screw together and then that screws onto the shank, I'm sure you get the idea.

1) How do I get the line out of it? Is it a stanley knife cut-out job? Looks like there is some kind of soft plastic built into it which I wouldn't want to cut...
2) What is this called? In case I ever need to buy another from one of the sponsors etc

Thanks for your help

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

You should be able to knock the outside "bolt" off then it shoud be just a nipple within the beerline.

Cheers

Its a old standard nut and olive arrangement, the part in the tube is like a upside down mushroom.
You need to cut the tube take the thing out, later to put back in, you heat the tube in hot water slip the mushroom back in the tube and
tighten back into the fitting, this forms the tapered seal from the heated tube.
Follow ? if not bring it over and I can show you.
Nev

I've got these on my Andale taps.
I's called a cooler coupling. You will need to trim the tubing around the olive just near that thread on the coupling.
Once you hack at it a bit, the tube should just push right through. The olive is steel so you can use it again unless it's squashed or damaged.
I have a PDF file with a retail price list but don't know how to add a PDF file, anyone?

So I finally got round to taking this apart today - what a crazy little part this olive and nut thing is!! Why would you do it that way!?

I'm a big fan of john guest fittings and the like... is there somthing I can buy to use instead of this?

Basically I have (what I think is) a 3/8" thread on a shank coming through from an andale tap - what do people usually use to attach 8mm OD beer line to a 3/8" thread?

Currently I have a cooler coupling screwing onto the shank thread and the otherside is another female thread of reduced size - the part pictired in the OP screws into that. Seems like a paiful way to go about it. Any ideas appreciated (or corrections - I only half know what I'm talking about).

John Guest fittings are not designed for liquid but gas only. Many of us do use them on beer lines though without problems.

Batz

Back