What is this in my bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marksy

Reaction score
Hey all, have had this lager sitting in the garage for the last month, simple all grain that I fermented for 2weeks at 16c. I have tasted it couple of weeks ago, it was fine. Just went to grab a for a sample and I notice this stuff floating and resting against one side of the bottle.

What do you think it is?

I've thrown it in the fridge to see if it settles down. It doesn't appear to be moving say like sea monkeys. Yeasties???

1441073671933.jpg

Had same problem a few years ago with a batch of ale. At the time I assumed it was simply bubbles of co2 escaping from the sediment and stirring small clumps of yeast , due to the weather warming up . Never did find a definitive answer but after chilling for a few days it cleared and tasted fine.

Cheers .

Nah standing in a milk create, slight angle of 5degrees mainly.

Did you use any finings at all in fermentation or at bottling? I've had something similar after adding too much gelatin to the secondary. It was like a fluff on the bottom of the bottle that never really settled out properly.

I had a similar thing and I reckon it's yeast anchoring to the side of the bottle. It was that whitelabs Mexican lager yeast. I thought maybe a slight build-up of beerstone from refilling without the odd sod'per' wash had given it something to cling to. Beer was fine.

Nah no finings or anything. Beer tasted fine anyway.

i see this if you bottle in weird shape bottles.
any non (perfectly) vertical surface gets a light dusting of yeast (and other trubby things).
So if yours were on a slight angle... i would bet that that stuff was on the down side.

Is this a hollandia bottle by any chance? That happened to all my hollandia bottles and proved to just be yeast

Not sure, its just a green bottle as far as I know. Yeah they bottles are all on a slight slant, I'm thinking it's all the bits falling down and being scattered. Cheers gang.

Latest posts

Back